This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE SC and media backends

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
iria
Registered Member
OS

KDE SC and media backends

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:25 pm
Karellen raised the interesting issue, with too many media backend needed for KDE SC.

bip bip?!? So, I’m going to need 3 separate media backends to run KDE?
DragonPlayer (well, as of 4.4.5 at least) depends on Xine. KCall depends on GStreamer. And although Phonon has xine and gstreamer backends, they are deprecated and have problems which I don’t think are going to be fixed (e.g. FLAC/Vorbis files get the first (or was it last?) couple of seconds cut off in playback) so I’ve got VLC installed for that.
Xine, GStreamer, VLC. Three media backends, each with their own plugins for all the same codecs. What. The. bip bip
That’s complete asshattery.
OK, it may not be your asshattery. So I could be ranting in the wrong place. But it would be nice if someone in KDE could take responsibility and clean this bip bip.

http://gkiagia.wordpress.com/2010/09/20 ... omment-233

Is there any future plan for this issue?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: KDE SC and media backends

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 am
KCall is not part of KDE SC itself, it is part of Playground. You only need one backend installed at a time, although Xine is currently in the process of being deprecated, and GStreamer is not recommended.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
iria
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:58 am
bcooksley wrote:KCall is not part of KDE SC itself, it is part of Playground.

Would you don't tell me obviousness? Thanks.

Key words is "I’m going to need"

Phonon guys tells that VLC backend will be the future. But telepathy will be bulid against gstreamer not phonon. This give us need for two mulitmedia backends needed IN FUTURE. Why this separation? Why not only one working good? In present some gstreamer modules are depended, in some distribution, on parts of GNOME.
GNOME parts in default KDE SC install? NIce job!

Sorry for my bad english.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:24 pm
Telepathy is a freedesktop.org standard, KDE has no control over it. It is not surprising it depends on gstreamer, another freedesktop.org standard.

I agree, though, that dolphin should be fixed so it only requires phonon.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm
The current gstreamer backend for Phonon is not recommended as it has not been maintained since quite some time. Xine upstream is pretty much one single person with little time and quite some bugs, so we work on the VLC backend because we can rely on the VLC developers to give a hand for development.
You are very welcome to give a hand to improve the gstreamer backend, though.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
iria
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:42 am
I "love" VLC backend, for me libvlc is the best. I am very grateful for your work. :)
For me, the state of phonon is the problem. Many people in internet complain about his condition. Do libvlc not has the same as gstreamer codecs which will be used telepathy-kde? I'm not a programmer. Could you please explain to me, why phonon can't work for telepathy-kde.

Sorry for my bad english.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:51 am
Telepathy is not under KDE's control. Telepathy-kde is just a way for KDE users to connect to the underlying telepathy software. The underlying telepathy software, not telepathy-kde, gets to decide what multimedia backend it wants to use, and it uses gstreamer.

You could think about it as though telepathy-kde is your phone, telepathy is your phone line, and gstreamer is the hardware the phone company uses for routing calls. You can get whatever phone you want to play sounds from the phone line. However, those phones have no control over the hardware used by the phone company. The phones just take signals from the phone company and send signals to the phone company. Similarly, telepathy-kde has no control over the underlying technologies used by telepathy, it just takes the data telepathy gives it and sends the data telepathy needs. Part of the data telepathy sends is video rendered by gstreamer.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:47 am
TheBlackCat wrote:Telepathy is a freedesktop.org standard, KDE has no control over it. It is not surprising it depends on gstreamer, another freedesktop.org standard.

Do you know is there any plan to ditch gconf2 and gnome libs from 'good' gstreamer plugins? How can this be a standard anyway? I thought standards should work cross desktops without DE dependencies… This is like saying Gnome = Linux desktop, others can {censored words here}.

Do not try this at home, part 1. Second most favorite command after KDE upgrade: # chmod -x /usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd
iria
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:27 am
Thanks TheBlackCat. The sad thing is how standards are created.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:43 am
Tenno Seremel wrote:How can this be a standard anyway? I thought standards should work cross desktops without DE dependencies… This is like saying Gnome = Linux desktop, others can {censored words here}.

Yep, that is pretty much how it works, unfortunately.

-NASA in 1965