This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMix *do not* mute speaker when plug headphone

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Feko
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

This may be a silly question, but I'm really stuck into that.
I'm running Kubuntu 10.04 (KDE 4.4) on my laptop, and everytime I plug the headphone, it mute my speaker. And when unplugged, it unmute the speaker again.
I guess this is a default behavior, but I don't really want it... I want my speaker *always* muted, no matter the is or not a headphone plugged. I only want sound going through the headphone. I tried all the channels in KMix, but without results.
My question: Is there a config where I can disable this behavior, and mute only speaker, but not the headphone?

Thanks in advice.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Have you made sure that all the channels are enabled? Are you using pulseaudio?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Feko
Registered Member
OS
Yes, all channels are visible. Except Capture, Input and Mic ones.
I'm using pulseaudio, and it's an NVidia soundcard.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
Does it behave otherwise in non KDE environments?

I have no idea how this is done in laptops, but most old devices (including speakers with headphones jack) had it done via hardware - plugging the jack would break the contact with the speakers.

Feko
Registered Member
OS
Hi, thanks for your answers. :)

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a hardware problem...
Before I install Kubuntu, I was using Debian Lenny (KDE 4.2.4). There was two separated channels in KMix (Among the others), one for jack and one for speaker. So, I could mute the speaker channel without changing the jack channel.
Unfortunately, it was about five months ago, and I can't remember the channel's name, or earlier KMix version.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
If it was possible in kmix before, that is if you had different channels for those two, I would bet this is not a kmix issue, but rather driver/pulse one.

Essentially, kmix shows what the system tells it to show. And I don't think it tries to be smart :)

Feko
Registered Member
OS
Okay, i think I get it.
So, instead of trying to fix it in KMix, I should look for a solution in pulseaudio?

Yeah, it makes sense...
Thanks for your reply, I'll play around with pulseaudio :)
ozjd
Registered Member
OS
This can be set in alsamixer and pavucontrol (Pulseaudio's volume control).