This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kde lirc (irkick) works as root but not as a normal user

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dwardo
Registered Member
OS
Hello

I have been fiddling around with this problem for some time now.

lirc seems to be set up properly (i.e. with irw I can see my key presses) but when starting irkick as a normal user it says it can't find any remote and that my lirc configuration is probably wrong.
As a test, I started irkick as root using kdesu and as root it finds my remote and all works. Of course I don't want to run irkick as root all the time, this test just seems to show that some things are setup properly.

I'm guessing that my problem is a permission issue on a file, but I can't figure out which one.

My standard user is part of the root group, here are the permissions of
* The lircd configuration file:
Code: Select all
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  2298 18 juil. 22:15 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

* The input device lirc works on:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     12 29 sept. 10:54 /dev/tntremote -> /dev/input/event6
crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 70 29 sept. 10:54 /dev/input/event6

* lircd pid and socket files:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 29 sept. 08:55 /dev/lircd -> /var/run/lirc/lircd
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 29 sept. 08:55 /var/run/lirc/lircd=
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 5 29 sept. 08:55 /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid

Are there any other files I am missing (can't find what irkick connects to tto talk with lirc)

Any ideas other than a file permission issue ?

Thanks a bunch.

Dwardo

P.S. I'm using kdelirc-4.4.5 and kde 4.5.1

P.P.S. I've also tried creating a new user and testing irkick in it --> does not work.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This is definitely not expected behaviour. You may wish to file a bug report at bugs.kde.org.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dwardo
Registered Member
OS
Reported as https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=253429 after upgrading to kremotecontrol 4.5.1 which replaces kdelirc and confirming that I have the same problems.