This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

sound problems, need help with diagnostics

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cyrylski
Registered Member
OS
hello,

I've encountered a problem with sound config on my PC. I have KDE 4.4.2 over Ubuntu (Kubuntu) and I really love it thanks to many tools and configurability.

But one thing that really sucks is this environment, and I have to say that, because that sucks indeed, is that from time to time it loses all my configs.

This time there's no sound. I don't really know where to start tracking this issue, could you please help me with that? Where to check first? How does it work?

I've seen the kcmshell4 multimedia section and I have my device (Intel HDA) listed, but I can't play-test it, the test hangs up the window with no response. Last time I shutdown it worked. After a restart, it doesn't...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Do you have Pulseaudio running?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
cyrylski
Registered Member
OS
Well, now it's running. After a restart :) but I believe there should be a way to diagnose the whole system without a reboot. Could you please show me some resource with an overview of audio system in Kubuntu so that I can checklist al the necessary modules in case of malfunction in future?
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
First, please answer bcooksley's question. The situation is radically different depending on whether you are using pulseaudio or not.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
cyrylski
Registered Member
OS
I'm sorry for sloppiness.

I encountered the problem again. Pulseaudio was running I think, this process was active:

/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

I tried to kill it but couldn't even as sudo.

And there was no sound whatsoever (neither from flash in firefox nor from Amarok). After a reboot it works back again.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Check to see if there is a program called pavucontrol available, either installed or available for installation. Once it is installed, run it and make sure that your sound card is visible, not muted, and has volume.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965