This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

phonon-backend-vlc crashes kde apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
clue
Registered Member
OS

phonon-backend-vlc crashes kde apps

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:57 am
Hi, this is my first post here.

I love KDE! I am using it since suse 7.0 times. Right now I am using Debian-testing, to help the Debian team by finding and reporting bugs. I have the packages alsa-base and linux-sound-base installed, but not pulseaudio or other soundservers.

I recently switched from phonon-backend-xine to phonon-backend-vlc.

My problem:

When I preview a sound/movie file in dolphin, it crashes every time after closing it :'( Please see [url]bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=253330[/url] for backtrace and further information.

This problem however is not limited only to dolphin. It also occurs in other KDE-apps ([url]bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=253326[/url]).

I have seen another bug report, where the reporter says, when he is trying to change settings in systemsettings -> multimedia and then tries to close it, systemsettings crashes. This is exactly what is happening in my environment.

All in all I am not alone. Please help me filing a proper & useful bug report.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The bug reports filed should be sufficient for developers to resolve the problem, if your backtraces match those in the bug reports.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
clue
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the reply. But if you'd read the bug report, you would see his anwser: He told me to discuss this issue in the forum, because he feels unable to do anything about it.

------- Comment #2 From Peter Penz 2010-10-12 16:00:28 -------

Thanks for the report, but honestly speaking I cannot do anything against this
in the scope of Dolphin: The Phonon backend-handling is done in Qt and if other
KDE applications crash too in your environment, it is definitely not a Dolphin
issue.

I'd kindly ask to that you try a public kde-forum to check, whether other
people have observed a similar issue (at least from bugs.kde.org I'm not aware
of such a general problem).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
That report needs to be reassigned to the appropriate Phonon backend, so their developers can check it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]