This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE removed sound card drivers - HELP!!!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
SleepyD
Registered Member
OS
Hi.

I am a complete newbie using openSuSE 11.2 with KDE 4-series os.

Everything was working excellently up until a few weeks ago when (and I honestly cannot remember what caused it now) the sound stopped.

As per gOOgler, I received system tray messages stating that Intel Conextant was not working and it was defaulting to a "default?" sound driver.

I have tried to get it started using the YaST->sound sound configuration tool and found that if I added a new Intel ICH9 (HDA) sound card and select quick setup, then, after closing the running kmix, I get a message first saying that KDE has found removed drivers and prompts me to confirm deleting said drivers - to which I say no - and then a system tray message informs me that Intel Conextant has just come on line and will be used being the driver with highest priority (or words to that effect :) ).

I do get sound from that point, although only from Firefox webpages, but not from any of my sound packages including cinelerra.

I do know that this must point to a settings problem, but I have no idea how to even start looking for the files responsible, much less to rectify the problem for full functionality.

I am therefore asking for help.

I really prefer using Linux, but until now, have never had to delve into the subsystem before so please guide me through this and show me know what to do.

Gratefully yours

SleepyD
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Any way you can install 11.3? 11.2 had a ton of sound issues for me, due in no small part to messed up permissions for sound devices. These are fixed in 11.3. So if you are having sound problems and can afford to upgrade, I would strongly recommend you do so (you should probably due a clean install to make sure all the messed up bits are erased). The version of KDE in KDE:Distro:Factory has some additional fixes.

KDE gets its sound information from the underlying soundsystem. If there are probelms they are unlikely be due to KDE, but due to an underlying problem (even if only KDE seems to be affected).

If for some reason you can't upgrade, here are some things to try:

First, open the YaST2 sound card configuration, and click other->volume. Make sure there is volume, then push "Test". This is independent of the KDE sound system, so if it isn't working there it is not a KDE problem.

Next click back, then other->pulse audio configuration. Let us know if "Enable Pulseaudio Support" is checked.

Next open the "user and group management" yast2 module, and make sure your user is part of the "Audio" group and, if pulseaudio was enabled, any group with "pulse" in its name.

Finally, if pulseaudio is enabled, install pavucontrol and make sure the output device is present and unmuted and has volume. If not this is once again not a KDE issue.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
SleepyD
Registered Member
OS
Firstly, thank you very much for your very quick response TheBlackCat.

I have noted your advice re: 11.3 and have plans to install it on another machine I have recently obtained. I may consider re-installing only if I find that I cannot resolve this particular issue, but once I get my teeth into a problem, I do like to run it down to completion - it is the best way to learn after all ;D .

Okay, I opened YaST2->sound sound card configuration, clicked other->volume, levels were 100 each and pressed test. Was rewarded with a fanfare. :)

Then accessed other->pulse audio configuration and received an error message stating "PulseAudio is not installed or cannot be configured" - no check box or nothing.

Finally, in the user and group management module, my user (as well as all the other users) are part of the video,users group (this has been the case ever since I installed 11.2 on this system - is this important?).

So, to recap, would I be correct in stating the problem does appear to be a KDE one?

SD
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Try adding yourself to the "Audio" group. You will need to restart for the change to take effect.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
SleepyD
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat - you are the man - got my login sound as soon as the system re-booted and ALL my apps work now!!!!

I am estatic. I can now continue my projects - thank you so much.

However, there is a query I would like to run by you just to clarify this, if possible:

Are you able to explain why I now require to be added to the audio group for sound to work whereas before this was not neccesary? And would you know where I could start in order to re-configure it back to its original state?

Once again, thank you immensely.

SD