This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audex drive error

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lain
Registered Member
OS

Audex drive error

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:14 pm
Hi folks

First I feel the urge to state how AWESOME KDE4 is ;D

Secondly I did a quick search around here and didn't find a thing about my problem and I hope this is the right place for this topic ???

For my CD ripping I'm using Audex and it alway did exactly what I needed. But recently it stopped working. For some time (2-4 months) I didn't use it, so I cannot say exactly when my problem occurred.

The symptoms:
Audex won't rip any more. It just shows "drive error" in the status bar.

The oddities:
I have "CDEmu" installed with 2 virtual drives. If I mount a cue/wav combo in one virtual drive ("/dev/sr1") Audex works perfectly fine and does all the things it normally does, but only with the virtual drive. Also if I check out the drive list in Audex's options, only 2 drives show up: sr0 and sr1. sr0 is my physical drive (LiteON iHAS424) and sr1 is a CDEmu one, but under "/dev" I got sr2 as well (another CDEmu one). Maybe that's nothing... My physical drive is perfectly fine, as far as I can say. It works with k3b, cdparanoia, the-thing-that-Dolphin-offers-you-to-rip-CDs, ...

Investigation:
I purged and reinstalled Audex -> nothing. I deleted the config file -> nothing. If I run Audex from a terminal I get the following outputs:
Code: Select all
QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method KUniqueApplication::loadCommandLineOptionsForNewInstance()
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/lain/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

The environment:
$ uname -a
Code: Select all
Linux XXXX 2.6.35-22-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Sun Oct 10 09:26:05 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The big question:
Where to look next? Should I try to uninstall CDEmu and try again? If you need any additional info I will gladly provide it :) so KDE might get even more awesome!

Cheers
Lain
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Audex drive error

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:49 pm
Did you check if you have all necessary encoders installed? From the package description given by aptitude, it says this:
The assistant is able to create profiles for LAME, OGG Vorbis (oggenc), FLAC, FAAC (AAC/MP4) and RIFF WAVE. Please install your favorite encoder.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
lain
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:56 am
Hi,

yes the decoders are installed, ogg as well as lame.

I can rip from my virtual drive to ogg and mp3. So I guess they are installed and working well :)

Thanks anyway.

Cheers
Lain
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:19 am
lain wrote:The symptoms:
Audex won't rip any more. It just shows "drive error" in the status bar.

I got this too recently, but since I use Audex so rarely I have not been able to pinpoint the exact cause either (probably before I even upgraded to KDE 4.5.0). It may have been an audex update that caused it, or an upgrade of the KDE-libs or a combination. I can rip just fine using K3B or Dolphin so I suspect that there has been some change in the KDE-libs that Audex hasn't been upgraded to take into account (or a change that triggered a bug in Audex maybe).

What I have noticed though is that it seems to be a problem that only occurs on systems with more than one drive. In your case, emulated ones. In mine, two physical drives. It works fine on my laptop where there's only one drive present, but refuses on my desktop system where there are two.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:08 am
There have been changes to the audiocd:// KIO slave with regards to handling of multiple drives, so this may be related.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lain
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 am
Hi,

@Kryten2X4B:
So as far as I understand that, you do not have CEmu installed? On the machine with the 2 Physical drives, does the second one work, or do both drives fail?

@bcooksley:
Do you know when those changes occurred, coz I know that I had this error in Kubuntu 10.4 (and now in 10.10 of course). And I found this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/481726

-> It's getting warmer :)

Cheers
Lain
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 am
CDemu is not installed, no. On the 2-drive machine one works and the other doesn't. Sorry for forgetting to mention that. The same problem occurs in Amarok now that I think of it, I can use one drive for listening to audio-cds but not the other. I need to check whether it's the same drive that's causing the problem in both applications (I rarely use CDs...)

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:53 am
They occurred within kdemultimedia/kioslave/audiocd/ in KDE SVN.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:02 pm
Okay, now I've double-checked whether Amarok and Audex displays the same problem with the same drive.

It's a bit confusing as to where the problem may be.

Amarok will only display and play tracks of CDs in the Sr0 drive. It recognizes the audio-cd if put in Sr1 but refuses to do anything with it.

Audex is the exact opposite. Works fine with Sr1 but not Sr0, the only difference is that it doesn't even see the disc when put into the wrong drive. It only complains about "no disc present".

Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 am
Please check this bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=230462 Looks like the same problem with Audex, which makes me think of a Solid issue.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...