This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No sound from KMPlayer or Kaffeine on WMV

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
daihard
Registered Member
OS
Hi.

I am pretty sure many of you have seen this question over and over again, but this really drives me up the wall. Please bear with me.

Symptom: No sound trying to replay WMV files on KMPlayer and Kaffeine.

What I did: Install win32 codecs via apt-get. It installed successfully. I see a bunch of (valid) symlinks in /use/lib/win32. I also installed "kubuntu-restricted-extras." Still no sound.

Kaffeine worked perfectly with the same set of WMV files when I had Kubuntu 8.04. It kept working even after I initially dist-upgraded to 9.10. Now it stopped working when I dist-upgraded to 10.04.

If anyone has any idea what to do to fix this, I would much appreciate your sharing it with me.

Thanks,
Dai

Last edited by daihard on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) 64-bit / KDE 4.8.1
Work: Dell Precision T5500 (Xeon E5506 @ 2.13 GHz x 2 / 12GB RAM)
Home: Panasonic Toughbook W8 (Core 2 Duo @ 1.20 GHz / 4GB RAM)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Have you tried it in non-KDE applications?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
daihard
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat wrote:Have you tried it in non-KDE applications?

I just tried xine, with the same result. I got this error on the terminal (as I ran it from konsole).

ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!

Why does xine attempt to connect to DCOP, I don't know. Does it give you any clue?

Thanks,
Dai

Exilant
Registered Member
I doubt the dcop message is related to the problem.

There are some codecs used in wmv files that are problematic, however with w32codecs this should work(on 64-bit machines you might be lost, though).

Does sound work using mplayer? I doubt this is a kde issue. If not, mplayer should print the codec name to the commandline.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
DCOP indicates that the application is using KDE 3 technology... which is not the default configuration of Kubuntu 10.04. Have you tried with VLC/Dragon Player?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
daihard
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:DCOP indicates that the application is using KDE 3 technology... which is not the default configuration of Kubuntu 10.04. Have you tried with VLC/Dragon Player?

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I have tried Dragon Player. It actually works - sound comes out fine from the WMV files I have. I have dist-upgraded from 8.04 to 9.10, and then to 10.04. As I said above, Kaffeine worked fine up to the first dist-upgrade. It stopped working once I've upgraded it to 10.04. Does it make sense that Dragon Player works fine while Kaffeine doesn't? If so, where do you suggest that I look?

Thanks!
Dai

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It is likely your Xine configuration, which may be related to Pulseaudio if it is installed and running. Kubuntu uses GStreamer for Phonon applications by default, which can use Pulseaudio without problems. Xine needs "libxine-pulse" or the Kubuntu equivalent installed to work well with it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Not exactly true, Kubuntu uses the phonon-xine-backend currently by default, speaking of Kubuntu 10.04 and Kubuntu 10.10. This might change for later versions though.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
daihard
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Not exactly true, Kubuntu uses the phonon-xine-backend currently by default, speaking of Kubuntu 10.04 and Kubuntu 10.10. This might change for later versions though.

Please bear with me here. I tried to install "phonon-xine-backend" via apt-get but could not find the package. May it be called something different? Or am I totally off here?

Hans
Administrator
OS
It's probably just phonon-xine, which you should have installed.

Can you please tell us which version of Kaffeine you use?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The package name for Kubuntu is phonon-backend-xine, and you will also need the kubuntu-restricted-extras package for the codecs.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...