This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can VLC start dvds automatically in Kde?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tpprynn
Registered Member
OS
There seems to have been info about this with older version of kde but the advice I've had on this didn't solve this minor issue. With Gnome Vlc can start a Dvd that has been inserted, without intervention. What happens instead with Kde is the right-hand devices widget will appear and give four options, one involving DragonPlayer, which I like to avoid as it seems to be easy to jog the film's progress with a slip on the touchpad. I've replaced its mention in System Settings > Advanced > Device Actions with vlc to no avail. Watching a Dvd film with Vlc is a bit laborious at present, unless someone has mastered this? I've also amended File Associations to no avail.

I am using Linux Mint 9 Kde, which uses Kde 4.4.5.

Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The latest version of VLC ships with actions for the Device Notifier I believe. And it appears that there is a bug in the interaction between Device Notifier and the Device Actions control module, which i'll look into.

Have you tried restarting Plasma to see if it makes a difference?

In the meantime, copy $KDEDIR/share/apps/solid/dragonplayer-opendvd.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications and rename it to "vlc-opendvd.desktop" and change the executable name using a text editor. You may need to restart Plasma after this change.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]