This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sound Crackling in Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Techknotted
Registered Member
OS

Sound Crackling in Amarok

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:46 pm
I have this poping - crackling sound in Amarok Version 2.3.2 - Using KDE 4.5.3 (KDE 4.5.3) and running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx.
When I run Audio MP3's with music - no problem - until I run podcasts and then it starts up again. I can reduce the sound to stop the volume of the nuisance crackle else i cant hear the discussion.

The sound issues are more likely related to sound setup and possibly pulse audio? I have read the older posts of this 'bug' but have not been able to get a fix working so far.

Can someone help with this please?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Re: Sound Crackling in Amarok

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:28 am
Techknotted, I've noticed this crackling occaisionally while using xine or gstreamer as a phonon backend, but never with vlc. Have you tried changing backends? All three are available as packages, or phonon-vlc can be built from source:

http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2010/04/wa ... re-you-go/
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:47 am
This is a Phonon issue, moving thread.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Techknotted
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:23 pm
valoriez wrote:Techknotted, I've noticed this crackling occaisionally while using xine or gstreamer as a phonon backend, but never with vlc. Have you tried changing backends? All three are available as packages, or phonon-vlc can be built from source:

http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2010/04/wa ... re-you-go/

Hi - Thanks for the reply.

I have seen the link, however i'm not understanding alot of the 'tech speak stuff'. You talk about a 'backend' and changing it? ;D
"Please do not install this backend if you are not comfortable with alpha code and willing to test and report bugs."

So - where do I go from here? A few here say that its not Amarok, its the 'backend' so where do I post?

I opened the Alsa Mixer program (Gamix) and in not time lost all the controls and they dont seem to come back! So now i need help on just driving Gamix and getting all the controls back! Help, is not much help sorry!

T
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 am
Alsamixer can be run from the console,
Code: Select all
alsamixer

M means muted; use your arrow keys to move around.

Sorry for the tech-speak! Amarok uses a program called Phonon to play sound, and Phonon can use a few "backends" to do that. Most Amarokers use Xine, the old choice, VLC, the newest one, or Gstreamer, which is being actively worked on, and is favored by the *ubuntu developers.

To see what you are using in Amarok, go to Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback > Configure Phonon: Backend tab. You may have one or more installed; you can move them up or down and then test which works best with your system.

No need to build the newest VLC; sorry for the suggestion -- all the backends are available as packages, usually called phonon-backend-vlc (or xine, or gstreamer). Be aware that you will need the codecs to play mp3s with each of these backends. http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MP3 for more detail about that.
Techknotted
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:21 am
valoriez wrote:To see what you are using in Amarok, go to Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback > Configure Phonon: Backend tab. You may have one or more installed; you can move them up or down and then test which works best with your system.

No need to build the newest VLC; sorry for the suggestion -- all the backends are available as packages, usually called phonon-backend-vlc (or xine, or gstreamer). Be aware that you will need the codecs to play mp3s with each of these backends. http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MP3 for more detail about that.

Thanks
I'm using Xine 0.2.60 as the 'backend' could this be problematic on this version, or do you think i need to move to another 'backend' maybe to gstreamer since the Ubu Developers a re favouring? And Yes I understand the codec issue for mp3'.

Cheeers
Chris