This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Resolution problem after updateing NVIDIA Drivers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
giser3546
Registered Member
OS
So I am very new at this and am in way over my head. I'm running...

Kubuntu 10.04
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Processor
Asus M2N68-AM µATX Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1GB Video Card
2 GB ram
Sens 22" 1080p HDTV as a monitor using VGA

My problem started when I was trying to update my video driver by downloading and installing "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.29.run". When I rebooted my only choices for resolution were 640x480 and one that was smaller.

After what I now see as not enough research I went into the X11 directory with the intention of replacing my xorg.conf file with the xorg.conf.backup file. However when I got to the X11 directory I noticed there was no xorg.conf file, only the .backup and .failsafe xorg files. In what I now see as a huge mistake I copied the xorg.conf.backup file into that same directory with the name xorg.conf. After a quick reboot my screen just reads "unusable signal". I assume I changed resolution to something my cheap 22" Sens 1080p HDTV can't handle, but I'm not sure how considering I only intended to replace my xorg.conf file with the one that worked before I tried to update my NVIDIA drivers.

I'm going to try to hook up my 42" LCD to see if it can show a screen image. If that’s a no go I'm going to try to boot from a CD and see if I can access the X11 directory at least change it back to the way when I still had a screen image, it was just nearly impossible to read (600x480).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm fairly lost here and would just like to get my computer working again.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You need to boot your system into failsafe mode, and remove all generated xorg.conf files. Current distributions don't need xorg.conf to be present, and automatically configure themselves depending on the hardware present.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Budgie2
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:You need to boot your system into failsafe mode, and remove all generated xorg.conf files. Current distributions don't need xorg.conf to be present, and automatically configure themselves depending on the hardware present.

So please could you advise how one now may select the screen resolution one requires?

I have posted a question elsewhere on this forum and hope somebody can help but it is surely wrong to assume that no means of selecting resolution and colour depth will be acceptable to users.
Please let me know if I am missing something.
Regards,
Budgie2
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This can be done at runtime, using the NVidia tools, or xrandr if using Noeveau

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Budgie2
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:This can be done at runtime, using the NVidia tools, or xrandr if using Noeveau

Out of my depth now. Will study these topics and raise in openSUSE forum.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Budgie2