This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

adjust volume scale in Kmix (for laptop buttons)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mortoray
Registered Member
Is there anyway to adjust the scale and increments of the volume buttons attached to KMix?

Basically the entire lower range of my volume scale (0-50%) is too silent, and in the upper range 5% increments is simply too high.

If there is someway to just reduce the increment that would be fine.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you open KMix, then you should see several sliders. Try adjusting their positions to get a better increment. The volume of sound produced is unfortunately not under the control of KMix, but ALSA instead.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mortoray
Registered Member
The increment is always 5%, regardless of any slider I've checked.

While the way the level correlates to volume is not under control of Kmix, the value increments are. At least that is what I infer when I see that the volume up/down button is mapped to KMix.
gtrip
Registered Member
OS
I'm sure a developer could answer your question better, but I've not seen a scale adjustment for volume control in KMix for laptop buttons. Certainly, by opening KMix control sliders, you can adjust more accurately, but that defeats the purpose of the quick access by laptop buttons.
This is something probably for the wish list for developers to add as an option within KMix settings.
apache
Registered Member
OS
I've found this bug
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189995
and topic
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread ... el-control
but I need help. I set VolumePercentageStep=2.5
so it looks like this
http://pastebin.com/Cep1Qazv
but it doesn't work. What does it mean to "quit kmix" in comment 2 of bug report? Do I need any command to stop kmix from working?
I use KDE 4.8.5
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Quit KMix is likely referring to closing and ensuring KMix is not running at the time you make the configuration file change.

KDE Sysadmin
apache
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Oops, I wasn't aware of that hidden value - based on the date on the commit, the functionality should be available in KDE 4.8.
If you run the following command, it should set the volume scale step to 2.5%.
Code: Select all
kwriteconfig --file kmixrc --group Global --key VolumePercentageStep 2.5

KDE Sysadmin
apache
Registered Member
OS
This changes the configuration file but with no effects on sound level. It always changes by 5% no matter what value of VolumePercentageStep I set. I reported this in a bug report. I hope it will be reopened.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hm - that should have had the desired impact. Did you restart KMix after making the configuration file change?

KDE Sysadmin
apache
Registered Member
OS
Yes. I closed kmix and veromix, changed configuration using this command, started kmix. No effect. I repeted procedure and restated and again no effect.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
On KDE 4.11.1 this worked. However it didn't work when I ran the command, then quit kmix (because it'll overwrite the config file), so make sure it's indeed not running when you run the command.

Greetings

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
apache
Registered Member
OS
I close plasmoids of kmix and veromix. Maybe this doesn't close kmix. Can I close kmix with command to make sure it is not running?
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Try "killall kmix".

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
apache
Registered Member
OS
Finally it works. The solution was to assign keys as global (third column) in kmix settings. Previously I set them in the first column. I set VolumePercentageStep 1.0, which changes value by 1% and allows fine tuning.