This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

xine resamples everthing to 48 kHz

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fritzwunder
Registered Member
OS

xine resamples everthing to 48 kHz

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:39 pm
Hi!

I've got this weird output problem for few days by now. Every application using Phonon (e.g. amarok or dragon_player) are resampling everything to 48 kHz unregarded the input file sample rate. I've double and triple checked it with different samplerates and formats (flac, mp3, wav ...). Always with the same result.
Audacity which pipes straight through alsa and pulseaudio under gnome are working flawlessly with my onbord digital output. Hence I guess it's a xine related issue.

Can anyone confirm this audio behavior?

I'm running current kubuntu 10.04.2 LTS with libxine1 1.1.17-1ubuntu3.

Thanks and regards
Fritz
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would recommend changing Phonon backend to either GStreamer or VLC in this case.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
fritzwunder
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for replying.
That's what i already did yesterday after studying few posts here. I'm pretty unfamiliar to kde4.x audio architecture. Even upgraded from lucid to maverick because the phonon-backend-vlc is not represented in lucid's repository. Unfortunately, now I only got 44.1 kHz output no matter which backend is triggered or format is played. So it seems to be rather a phonon than a backend issue.
I always restarted amarok or dragon_player when switching the output.

I understand that problems like these are not reproducible for the average kind of user but for me it's fairly essential to get an accurate audio stream out of my box in a contemporary multimedia environment. And it's even more annoying knowing everything was fine just one week ago.
I'm not a developer but a power user, familiar with linux for about 12 years and willing and able to help by testing if developers would like.

greets
Fritz
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I don't know much about this, I think Phonon stores an Xine configuration somewhere under ~/.config I believe (phonon-xine.conf I think)

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
fritzwunder
Registered Member
OS
I don't think anymore it's a xine flaw.
But i have to admit ubuntu installed pulseaudio again with dist-upgrade-procedure which was unmentioned at the first moment. This and the fact systemsettings-manager always crashes during configuration turns whole testing into a mess. At the moment output samplerate is already locked to 48 kHz and I'm not sure phonon really uses the triggered backend. Settings shows up lots of different devices in the meantime I have to allocate to it's alsa names first to understand.

Guess since i want to get back to KDE I'll install a clean testing environment to analyze the whole situation from scratch. I'll report my success or failure probably next week. Meanwhile I'd better go and study few posts in this forum, i suppose ;)

Thank you that far bcooksley.