This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 4.6.0 -- Audio device not work. Falling back to default

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
qlands
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

KDE 4.6.0 show this message when I don't use the root user:

The audio playback device HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog) does not work. Falling back to default.

Funny enough I still have sound, however the playback device is Internal Audio Analog Stereo (with root it shows HDA Intel with the proper channels)

Any ideal what do it need to configure/check?

Regards,
Carlos.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would check the permissions of your audio devices, usually located at /dev/snd/ on a linux system. You may need to be a member of the "audio" or similarly named group to interact with the devices.

Also, your user could be employing Pulseaudio, which generates names such as this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
yogieza
Registered Member
OS
try alsamixer on konsole then select your sound driver with press f6 button.next step configurating your sound whatever you like.
panchtatvam
Registered Member
OS
I've been receiving a similar error "The audio playback device default does not work.
Falling back to default." since the last kernel update. It reoccurs with every restart. I try to launch phonon and set device priority to default or other working devices. It's wiered that sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't. It though seems to work fine for notifications . For VLC and web player like flash it produces no sound.
When I try to launch Pulseaudio i get the following error :

[panchtatvam@vichaarak ~]$ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] module-udev-detect.c: inotify_init1() failed: Too many open files
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-udev-detect" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

What I get is that Phonon is in some sort of tussle to use the audio hardware which has HD parts too.
Just as was typing this . all other devices from Phonon were removed and I'm left with PulseAudio sound server, which works fine. But with a restart the issue will reoccur and I'll have to do hit and try again.

Is there no solution for this annoying behavior of phonon ?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Erm, do you still talk about KDE 4.6.0? If yes, I strongly suggest you upgrade your installation. If not, please open a separate thread and specify your exact KDE and Phonon versions.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...