This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kde 4.6.1: forgets about audio preferences?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edgue
Registered Member
OS
Hello there,

can someone confirm this:

when KDE 4.6 came out, I happily installed it on top of my ubuntu 10.10.
Back then, i told KDE ONCE that my headsets are "more important" than the build in audio of my laptop. So every time i would plug my USB headset (or put the laptop in the docking station hat has an USB headset attached) ... the right thing would happen: all audio input/output would be using the USB headset.

But then, yesterday, a KDE update came in (i guess for 4.6.1) ... and this morning ... all of a sudden my "priorities" were gone ... internal audio overruled the headset mic (leading to the strange effect that folks couldnt understand me ...until I realized that they listened to me with the laptop mic). I did the prefer/defer thingy again ... applied ... had to restart ... same thing?

So ... is there a bug in that area with 4.6.1?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As far as I am aware, none exists. Can you reproduce under a new user? Also, is Pulseaudio being used and was it installed previously if it is now?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
edgue
Registered Member
OS
Unfortunately it is not that easy.

Whole system is based on an ubuntu 10.10 install; with a backports kubuntu / KDE 4.6 upgrade later on. I also had some of the pulse audio stuff installed at some point (like the pdevchooser) as i tried to work around some gnome deficiencies (for example the fact that gnome allow me to put down preferences on audio devices ;-)

So ... what exactly should I check for?

And maybe a side question: when I check the "phonon" settings ... audio output is nicely organized, like here: http://img845.imageshack.us/i/audioout.png/

But the "in" selection is showing me all kinds of devices: http://img12.imageshack.us/i/audioin.png/

Does it have to be like that?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Judging by the names shown in the dialog, Pulseaudio is in use.

Please run "pactl list | grep module-device-manager" to confirm that the KDE integration is being correctly loaded.

You will see something like the following if it loaded properly:
Code: Select all
        Name: module-device-manager

Also, ensure that ~/.pulse and ~/.pulse-cookie and owned by your user and writable.

KDE Sysadmin
edgue
Registered Member
OS
Yes, module-device-manager is shown; .pulse is mine, so is the cookie file.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try logging out, switching to a virtual terminal, killing all pulseaudio processes, then removing ~/.pulse and ~/.pulse-cookie

KDE Sysadmin
edgue
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Try logging out, switching to a virtual terminal, killing all pulseaudio processes, then removing ~/.pulse and ~/.pulse-cookie

Some delay here ... I did so ... but now, some weeks later ... same thing:

I was using my laptop at home with no headset connected; and the audio profile for build-in audio was "analog out and analog in" ...

Came to the office monday morning (where my headset is plugged in my docking station): output was coming from the headset; but the headset mic wouldnt pick anything. I disabled the laptop internal audio again ... and headset mic was used again. Somewhat annoying.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Input devices have a different priority to Output devices, make sure they are both set properly, across all output types. It shouldn't forget a device though.

KDE Sysadmin
zx_master
Registered Member
Hello a have the same problem with my Bluetooth headset. KDE does'n set appropriate priority for the input audio device. So wen I'm trying to use Skype bluetoth mic does'n work - only built in mic on my laptop.
It is possible to set priotiy for audio device in kde config, but when I close and open audio config again all priorities in input devices resets to ther original state (my bluetooth is always on the 2n place)

It'is not so good because in 4.5 all worked well. I am using fresh kubuntu installation 11.04
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Are you using Pulseaudio? If so, then the settings should apply to Skype without issues. If you do not - then it won't work, as only KDE applications will be aware of the KDE settings.

KDE Sysadmin
zx_master
Registered Member
I can not apply any settings. I set audio input priority, I've press apply button, but when I enter audio config again I see that priority has not been changed.

Yes I'm using pulse audio.

I solve this problem using pavucontrol, but I think it is not like it should be.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Indeed, it shouldn't. Does Pulseaudio have the module "module-device-manager" loaded? You can test with "pactl list | grep module-device-manager"

KDE Sysadmin
zx_master
Registered Member
Yes there is module-device-manager.

I've found this problem on my Laptop and Netbook. There are fresh Kubuntu installation on netbook and upgrade from 10.10 on Laptop.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This is quite troubling. Please file a bug with the distribution at Launchpad about that.

KDE Sysadmin