This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sceencast for KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Sceencast for KDE

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:30 pm
Hi,

I want to use a desktop recorder but I didn't find any suitable one for me, because I want a recorder generates small size records (just like instant demo).
could you please help me?

I tested the following software but they didn't fit my needs:
recordmydesktop, xvidcap, istanbul, kazam & recorditnow

I found byzanz most suitable for me although it doesn't support sound for small size records (gif format), but in case there are no alternative to instantdemo in Linux
how can I use byzanz in KDE without need to open the terminal (I prefer GUI softwares)?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Sceencast for KDE

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:20 am

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 am
bcooksley wrote:Does http://hanschen.org/2009/09/02/record-s ... gif-files/ help (for the gif part)

no it talks about how to use it from terminal where I'm looking for GUI solution.

PS
byzanz has a nice panel applet for Gnome where I couldn't find any GUI solution for KDE!
piltdown
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 am
Seems to be lacking in KDE :-\

I would also like to have the ability to record screencasts using KDE but don't seem to find any workable solution.

If you find one then please post your solution.
nowardev
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:55 am
piltdown wrote:Seems to be lacking in KDE :-\

I would also like to have the ability to record screencasts using KDE but don't seem to find any workable solution.

If you find one then please post your solution.

i used recorditnow

but ....

now i use this

get your audio capture card :

1 cat /proc/asound/pcm

i get

1 00-00: ALC861-VD Analog : ALC861-VD Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
2 00-06: Si3054 Modem : Si3054 Modem : playback 1 : capture 1
3 01-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : capture 1

so i have want alc861vd so i have to use -i hw:0,0

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -ar 48000 -i hw:0,0 -s $(xrandr | awk '/, current /{print $8}')x$(xrandr | awk '/, current /{gsub(/\,/,"");print $10}') -f x11grab -r 30 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec ljpeg output.mkv

the file will be huge... but after that you can encode how you need ... and it's fast!

ps

byzanz-record --delay=3 --duration=8 --cursor plasma_howto-throw-ball.gif

on kubuntu natty it's fantastic :D
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 am
nowardev wrote:i used recorditnow

recorditnow not suitable for small size screenscasts because it's just like any traditional recorder (records full frames) where instantdemo or byzanz/gif records backgrounds with differences of them for that you'll find screencast size very small by comparing with any encoding.

This is ugly not fantastic!!!! where is the gui?! do I've to use the terminal whenever I want to record a screencast?!

byzanz has fantastic gui applet in Gnome. in case there is no gui solution in KDE, is there any way to run Gnome applets in KDE?
nowardev
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:43 pm
mbnoimi wrote:
nowardev wrote:i used recorditnow

recorditnow not suitable for small size screenscasts because it's just like any traditional recorder (records full frames) where instantdemo or byzanz/gif records backgrounds with differences of them for that you'll find screencast size very small by comparing with any encoding.

This is ugly not fantastic!!!! where is the gui?! do I've to use the terminal whenever I want to record a screencast?!

byzanz has fantastic gui applet in Gnome. in case there is no gui solution in KDE, is there any way to run Gnome applets in KDE?

well i guess you are windows like guy , you could find that shell is faster than a gui..... anyway do as you wisk , i use gif because it's easy and fast and light. :)

ffmpeg can record using ljpeg
so you don't need to wait to encoding like recordmydesktop or any other software

after that you can edit the video with kdenlive or just convert using ffmpeg ...

bah :S
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:54 pm
well i guess you are windows like guy , you could find that shell is faster than a gui..... anyway do as you wisk , i use gif because it's easy and fast and light. :)

well I'm wondering do still living in 21th century! why you're using KDE, you can use CLI instead! GUI applications eases dealing with different applications why you still believe that anyone prefer GUI is windows like guy!

ffmpeg can record using ljpeg
so you don't need to wait to encoding like recordmydesktop or any other software

after that you can edit the video with kdenlive or just convert using ffmpeg ...

Thanks for suggestion but it's not practical one because it doesn't file size issue.