This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sound lost after installing transcode

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
El Viejito
Registered Member
I'm running Mandriva 2010.2 64-bit free on a new HP machine with an Intel dual core processor E5700 (3.00 GHz). I used K3b to rip a DVD and got solid video reproduction on the new DVD, but no audio.

I installed 'transcode' to use the K3b DVD-rip feature (an error message said it was required); that's when the problem began. I had audio before then.

I can produce no audio from the original when I play it in my computer. In a DVD player, it pays fine however.

The original DVD audio is LPCM 2 ch.

The smplayer info indicates that the audio codec is dvdpcm - uncompressed DVD/VOB LPCM.

I've disabled PulseAudio by setting Configuration/Profile to OFF.

--------------------------------------

In the KDE control center/ Computer Administration/ Multimedia/ Device preferences: video - only the "default" setting sounds when the "test" button is pressed.

However, the Pulse Audio Sound Server listing is greyed out, as is Default "ALSA output (currently Pulse audio sound server)".

No sound is produced from the following devices when the "test" button is clicked:
HDA Intel(ALC888 analog)
HDA Intel(ALC888 digital)

In the Backend tab, the backend is listed as phonon GStreamer and phonon-xine/

------------------------------------------

I put an audio CD into the DVD/CD bin, KScd recognizes it and acts as if it is playing, but again no audio.

However, when KDE loads and unloads, the standard audio opening and closing files play and are heard. And neither Amarok nor smplayer will produce audio from .wav or .mp3 files, although they both report that they are playing them.

The mixer shows the PCM channel 80% but still no audio. The master channel is also at 80% (no audio).

Most of the other channels have little green icons above them; the PCM channel has a blue icon (a teeny little oscilloscope waveform).

Generating a new user and logging in as that user has no effect other than a brief error message when starting the DVD which says "HDA Intel(ALC888 digital)" is not working.

I'm running a dual boot system, and the DVD plays with sound under Windows 7.

Any suggestions for ripping DVD audio as well as video would be appreciated.

El Viejito, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please confirm that you have Pulseaudio disabled/removed. If you do have it disabled, then ensure that it is not running, that ~/.pulse* do not exist, and that the Pulseaudio plugin for GStreamer is not installed.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
El Viejito
Registered Member
I've removed the pulseaudio plugin for GStreamer; but when I try to remove pulseaudio-client-config, it threatens to remove most of KDE. lib64pulseaudio0 does the same.

Removing other pulseaudio programs also removed mencoder, mplayer, and smplayer. I figured I could put them back in after, but I can't without also re-installing pulseaudio.

I did remove .pulse and it no longer spawns but now DVDs no longer produce audio or video.

There seems to be a problem here, maybe a bug.

El Viejito, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Extremely odd. It seems your distribution has build KDE with support for Pulseaudio enabled. You will need to ensure that usage and autostarting of the Pulseaudio daemon is disabled. Methods to do this vary per distribution unfortunately, however you should be able to find information about how to do that on your distribution's forums.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]