This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

pluging phonon 4.5.0 backends to jack

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aCOSwt
Registered Member
OS

pluging phonon 4.5.0 backends to jack

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 pm
Hello,

- I have been working happily with phonon's xine backend that gets for me the uncomparable advantage of being pluggable to jack in two clicks.
- Considering all what I can read about xine maintenance together with the fact that gstreamer backend became the default choice with kde 4.6, I have great fears about its future.

=> I am trying to make so the other backends (vlc and gstreamer) output to Jack.

1/ vlc
- vlc by itself correctly outputs to jack in two clicks. This configuration however does not seem to impact phonon-vlc
- If I select jack among the choices I get under system-settings/multimedia/phonon/output device preference then it just displays a warning box that it does not work and automatically selects the next available device
- Of course I get a .asoundrc and there is a still opened bug (though dating from kde 4.4) about the fact that phonon-vlc is broken when one gets an asoundrc, is this still true with 4.6 ?

2/ gstreamer
- I even do not get the choice for jack in the device list.
- I of course installed gst-plugin-jack and tried to follow this howto : http://jackaudio.org/gstreamer_via_jack, replacing gconf2 by gconftool-2 but there is nothing such as /system/gstreamer in my existing tree...

Some help would be... hmmm... helpful !
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
At the moment I would suggest remaining with Xine as you are using KDE 4.5. I would also suggest sending an email to phonon-backends@kde.org concerning the potential for JACK connectivity in either of the GStreamer or VLC backends.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
aCOSwt
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:At the moment I would suggest remaining with Xine as you are using KDE 4.5.

Thank you for answering bcooksley.
BTW, I am using gentoo-portage's kde 4.6.2 which packs phonon 4.5.0
Of course, because of my problems with other backends, I am still using good old Xine which still troublelessly fulfills all my needs.
From what I had read all around, I was just fearing about a possible discontinuation of phonon-xine backend and was trying to fiddle a possible B plan... o)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Ok. You should definitely contact the Phonon developers, as they may need to do some extra work to allow the backends to enable their JACK native modes.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
aCOSwt
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Ok. You should definitely contact the Phonon developers...

Well well... I did follow your advise... and... I would say that... the answer I got ("use PulseAudio and it's module-jack-sink.") did not... fill me with enthusiasm... >:D
As a matter of fact, irrespective of pulseaudio per se, I believe that cascading 2 sound servers on my box would be... hmmm... suboptimal ! :P

If no dedicated solution is being worked then I believe I will direct phonon-whatever to Alsa !default and, thanks to .asoundrc and snd_aloop driver, redirect this to Jack, as I already do with all my Jack-unaware softwares.

Come on Xine ! Do resist ! o)