This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video formats?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jrmarsh@nps.edu
Registered Member
OS

Video formats?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:16 pm
Hi,
I am creating some videos to be played back using phonon/Qt we are currently using .wmvs and .movs but are experiencing reliability issues on both platforms. Is there anything I should know when preparing these videos? e.g hinted streaming, data rates, other formats?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
James
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Video formats?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:45 am
It depends on the Phonon backend you are using. As you seem to be using Mac OS X, Qt will likely be providing the Quicktime backend. Whichever format works best for Quicktime will therefore work best for Qt/Phonon.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jrmarsh@nps.edu
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:59 pm
bcooksley wrote:It depends on the Phonon backend you are using. As you seem to be using Mac OS X, Qt will likely be providing the Quicktime backend. Whichever format works best for Quicktime will therefore work best for Qt/Phonon.

Thanks for your reply. We are distributing this application to both Macs and PCs (running XP) using a set of movs for the Macs and a set of wmvs for the PCs but as I stated we are having reliability issues and I am trying to determine if it has something to do with the way I am preparing the videos, hence my question about hinted streaming or data rate restrictions.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Video formats?  Topic is solved

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 am
As far as I am aware, there shouldn't be any problems if the players native to the platform (Windows Media Player and Quicktime) can play them ok. The Directshow and Quicktime Phonon backends aren't the best, but they should be able to play them fine.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jrmarsh@nps.edu
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 pm
Thanks for clarifying that.
James