This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why can't I remove disconnected devices from Phonon applet?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rhombus
Registered Member
I used a USB sound device moons ago, and Phonon complains at every login that the device doesn't work and that it is defaulting to a different device.

When I go into the Phonon system applet, I cannot even select the device in question, let alone remove it (it is greyed out).

I find it puzzling that it isn't a simple matter to remove a disconnected device. Even a certain competing operating system which shall remain nameless does a better job here.

Or is this a configuration error on my part? If so, I'll gladly acknowledge my mistake.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you try removing the $HOME/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc file? You should restart KDE after that or do it in a shell before logging into KDE.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
rhombus
Registered Member
Hi Mamarok -

Removing the file did solve the problem, but what I don't understand is -- why does this require deleting a configuration file? This really should be possible to do from the Phonon interface.

Making device removal depend on a configuration file isn't very user friendly. It also makes me wonder why there is even a "Remove" button in Phonon if it doesn't work.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Then you should file a feature request for Phonon.

FWIW, configuration files keep trace of devices you used in the past, maybe upgrading again and again while keeping the same user configuration is not a good idea. I usually start with a new $HOME/.kde/ on every release and copy back the stuff I really need to keep.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
piedro
Registered Member
OS
Hello!

I have the same problem:

I can't delete the greyed out sound devices.
And there is no phonondevicesrc file anywhere ...

Running KDE 4.13.2 on ARch fully updated.

My sound is running but:
- it is annoying to configure phononm with 5 greyed out items in the list
- kmix starts muted every login

I am not sure whether these are related...

Please help someone, preferrably I would like to simply reset the whole phonon/pulseaudio configuration to make the system find the devices again and set them up.
Though I read in some threads "forgetting devices" might be the way to go - there is no setting or button like this.

thx for reading,
piedro
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If your system is using Pulseaudio then you will need to remove ~/.pulse or ~/.config/pulse/ outside of KDE, while Pulseaudio is not running.
That should clear the list of disconnected devices, and hopefully solve your KMix issues as well.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]