This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Want to change to Linux BUT.......

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
miden
Registered Member

Want to change to Linux BUT.......

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:48 pm
Hi all,

Existing Windows 7 64bit user here. But I am seriously trying to change over to Linux Kubuntu (must be Kubuntu because a VST sound module (Groove X-R) I am now using also runs on Kubuntu so I want to match up) but I am having some difficulties with the pro-audio production side of things.

I have confirmed my Mackie firewire Onyx 820i mixer is a working device using the FFADO system, but even though I have tried and tried to get it seen on the Kubuntu installation I cannot get it to work.

Is there some step-by-step guide somewhere I can follow to get audio over firewire sorted? It REALLY is the only thing stopping me, as I have even figured out that with iOS 5, I don't even need iTunes anymore for my iPad and iPods.......

Any help, or even direction to other sites would be appreciated. Remember I am looking specifically for Kubuntu data. I have seen the Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio distro info re firewire, but Kubuntu seems to have different controls and windows.

Thanks
google01103
Manager

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

miden
Registered Member
Thanks... a couple of the links I had already read, and the first related to Ubuntu 8!!!! LOL, a bit old now.

I was really after info specifically related to Kubuntu.

I have installed and uninstalled both Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio, and as my Groove Rack uses Kubuntu as the base distro, I REALLY want to run Kubuntu on my main PC instead of W7.

Hence my request for info on setting up both FFADO and JACK on Kubuntu...as I said it seems Kubuntu uses seemingly different menus and instructions to mainstream Ubuntu.

I had a look at the Kubuntu install I did do and could find NO references to FFADO or JACK for that matter, hence my joining this forum (it IS a Kubuntu forum is it not??) to ascertain further help and assistance, DIRECTLY related to Kubuntu systems..
google01103
Manager
sorry I'm confused but did you install FFADO and Jack in Kubuntu, they would install the same as they did in Ubuntu, I'd guess they'd be available in the software center

Remember Ubuntu and Kubuntu underneath are the same it's just that they use different desktop environments but can run the same programs if the correct libraries are installed - you are not limited to Gnome or KDE apps only so if it ran in U it will run in K

Note: this is NOT a Kubuntu forum it is a KDE forum

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

miden
Registered Member
Ahh sorry, my bad yes quite correct, KDE not Kubuntu...

Right I will try the Kubuntu install again...I must have missed the listings in the Software Centre??

Thanks, as I said I am REALLY keen to ditch the whole Windows and iTunes thing...Windows because I like the Linux system better and it will be better for using my other gear (already running Linux), and iTunes - well not much more to be said really other than iTunes LOL!!!

Cheers
Dennis