This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kmix won't open

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
FrenchyinON
Registered Member

Kmix won't open

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:48 pm
I just upgraded from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10. When I had K-11.04 everything was fine, then one day I had to reinstall & all of a sudden Kmix wouldn't work - I had no sound, and knew I needed to unmute the volume control but it wasn't in the system tray panel and when I clicked on Kmix it just bounced around for a bit and it never opened. I don't know why it worked before and now now but I Googled around and found it was a known bug. From, apparently, two years ago, but whatever. Figured I'd wait for the next upgrade.

So, I installed 11.10 this week and Kmix worked. Once. Now it won't open again. I have sound, but I had lowered the volume a few days ago and now I want to crank it up again. And I can't because Kmix now won't open again. I'm nonplussed enough by K-11.10 in general, it really doesn't help that two years later this problem has NOT been fixed.

I tried upgrading kmix. I tried reinstalling it. It just doesn't work, after that one time a few days ago. It won't open in Konsole.

I really don't need Kmix in general, I just want to put the volume control back in my system tray because it disappeared for some reason last night while I was messing around.

Anyone know how to just restore the volume control?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Kmix won't open

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:06 am
What do you get if you run kmix in a terminal?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Wizard
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:31 am
Does alsamixer work?
FrenchyinON
Registered Member

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:15 am
To you both...nothing. Kmix doesn't open in the Console and Alsamixer doesn't open either.

Is it possible to edit a file in Kmix manually to get the volume control back in the panel? I've just been perusing the Kmix files in root but haven't pulled up any yet that seem to address the volume control in the panel.

Just found a workaround for the volume, but it doesn't fix my problem. I tried opening alsamixer in Console and it did, and I was able to raise the volume. However I don't see anything for putting the volume control back in the panel...which would be the most convenient of course.
chrisking8613
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:33 am
Hey man I have your "panel" volume control fix. First off, let me just say that Kmix sucks (I had the exact same issue) :/. Now on to the issue at hand : ), to get a much better sound mixer simply click on the "Panel tool box" in the lower right corner, choose to "add widgets" then "Get New Widgets/Download New Plasma Widgets" then search for "Veromix" and install it, afterwards simply go back to the "Panel tool box" and drag the widget Veromix down to your panel. That's it! Hopefully this is what you're looking for, if you didn't find it already of course.
Fabian L.
Registered Member

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 pm
*Necroposting*
---------
System: Fresh Kubuntu 14.10 install (KDE SC 4.13.2)
---------

Hey, I have had the same problem and have found a way to get Kmix itself back by changing a config file. The idea actually came from the description page of chrisking8613's suggested replacement 'Veromix':

go to
Code: Select all
/home/<usr>/.kde/share/config/

and open the text file
kmixrc
. There I had a line reading

AllowDocking=false

changed that to true, reboot (maybe restart of KDE suffices, but I don't know how to do that yet :D)
and the Kmix was back in system tray.

I remember unchecking something like 'dock kmix to system tray' (dont remember the exact expression, plus it was German) by accident. I can't find that again because the settings button doesn't work now.. but at least I have volume control again! ;)

Also, I'm wondering how to get the Mixer appear directly next to the tray rather than on my second screen on the left. That left screen was the main screen by default when installing (I changed the other one to main), now the mixer appears on the left screen no matter what screen is main (which is the screen with the system tray)

Last edited by Fabian L. on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:01 am
Fabian: you are aware that you are answering a thread from 3 years ago? Things might have greatly changed since...

So, without specific information on which version you are talking about and which Linux distribution, your entry is of little help...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Fabian L.
Registered Member

Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:45 pm
No, Mamarok, I was actually not aware of that. I was busy being happy to have solved this nasty little problem.

Of course you're right. I added the requested information in the above post. Maybe it's helpful for someone now, apparently that bug unfortunate behaviour is still relevant.