This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

sound problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joeclem111
Registered Member
OS

sound problems

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:11 am
Hi, I have sound problems. I am on KDE 4.5. If I try to use desktop config then audio I can see my sound device but it is in grey. There are 2 other sound devices, also in grey, that are redundant but I cannot remove them whilst they are in grey! The active component is "dummy output" This stops all sound output UNTIL I log out, at which point I get the Mandriva log off sound. It is KDE that is barring my sound. How can I reset KDE so it only sees the one one sound device, and sees it as active? Thanks for any help.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: sound problems

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:17 am
Do you have pulseaudio installed?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
joeclem111
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 am
Yes but I have edited it out of the KDE config files (kmixctrl and kmixrc). I also must tell you that Kmix will not launch. I am on Mandriva 2010.2 and I have it on 2 PC's and kmix has never worked on either. I am running on ALSA and aumix. I now have the strange situation still where KDE is using "dummy output" so no sound.
zakaria
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:29 am
if: ALSA

ALSA Configuration try this:

alsaconf

Up / down try this:

alsamixer

# To modify press letter: m
# To exit press: ESC

After: with (root) save the settings:

sudo alsactl store
joeclem111
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:41 pm
I have brought up the ALSA mixer and it thinks it is on pulse audio, I am using a yamaha sound card. That may be a contributing factor.
zakaria
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:39 pm
joeclem111
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:32 am
Hi, my ALSA is now on the sound card with no pulse audio, slowly getting there maybe.
Right, I now have the proper sound card in ALSA and KDE sees it. I have promoted the card in the KDE config screen and I think we are OK. Thanks for the help,

Joe.