This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Recording Streaming Content

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chome4
Registered Member
OS

Recording Streaming Content

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 pm
On my Windows PC I'm currently using Replay Media Catcher which enables me to paste a url like: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/r/movie/ and it will record/download it to my local hard disk.

I can't seem to find an equivalent for use on my other, Pardus Op system, PC.

RecordMyDesktop will work if I resize a box over the open url page but I would prefer to have a url-based recorder/downloader.

I've tried pasting the url into VLC Media Player but nothing happened. I even downloaded/installed RTMP but still no success.

Hope someone can help.
google01103
Manager

Re: Recording Streaming Content

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:44 pm
Firefox has some extensions for capturing video but they do not work on all sites https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... el=suggest

In some cases video is cached in /tmp when being played and can be saved if the browser (and tab?) is still open, but sometimes the cached video is erased so that it can't be saved.

Vlc will not work in this case because you need to provide it the video stream address not the web page the video resides on

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

chome4
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:30 pm
google01103 wrote:Firefox has some extensions for capturing video but they do not work on all sites https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... el=suggest

In some cases video is cached in /tmp when being played and can be saved if the browser (and tab?) is still open, but sometimes the cached video is erased so that it can't be saved.

Vlc will not work in this case because you need to provide it the video stream address not the web page the video resides on

Thanks for that. The tmp thing worked perfectly in Ubuntu but no in Pardus!
jahidulislam
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 am
You can use a python script to copy the buffering or cached flash to your home folder or where ever you like. Download this from here

Install:

Make executable & copy it to /usr/bin for systemwide use

How to use:

Play your flash video in browser

after playing video in browser just run this command
Code: Select all
flasuck.py /home/username/Videos

This will copy your video to Videos folder

or just run this
Code: Select all
flasuck.py

it will copy the video in current directory.

Tested with OpenSUSE 11.4 32bit.

you may need to install lsof before using this script.
mnikki
Registered Member

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:21 am
Well, there are some available plug-ins for certain browsers that allows you just to save files you are going to stream. Though I am not sure if the same plug-ins would be made available to sound tracks. I am more familiar with those that saves streamed videos. If you also have a mac computer, it is very easy with that as whatever you load appears at the available videos list for download.
Stormtrooper
Registered Member

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 am
Hey guys,

Google brought me her.
I didn't know wether to create a new thread or to use this one.
Finally I decided to take the existing.
I am having the exact same problem like originally posted. I want to capture a video from nhk world.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work (anymore?) with the firefox extension that was posted here.
Somebody has another clue?
One of the results of my inquiry was this Software: deleted
Anybody know this and can give me an opinion?
Thanks so much for helping out!
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:05 pm
Seriously, how is this KDE related?
And it is in no way a software to record streams in general, just instructions on how to record streams from one single source.
To sum it up: irrelevant, not software, just advertizing one content provider.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...