This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem with sound and video kubuntu 11.10

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kwardak
Registered Member
OS
I have problem with sound and video in kubuntu 11.10. I have Gigabyte Ati Radeon HD 5750, motherboard is Gigabyte EP45-DQ6. My integrated music card dooesn't work (OS can't see it). In HD 5750 i have music card so i plugged in to the monitor throuh HDMI to the monitor. In windows it works fine.

In kubuntu when i try to play something (music or video) program (amaraok, dragon player, even video on youtube in browser - chromium, rekonq) tries to play it very fast as he can and I can't hear anything.

VLC plays files in normal time but i have still no sound.

I tried to install amd catalsyt properiaty drivers.

With these drivers i have sound and everything seems to works fine but something is wrong with display. I can't look at the monitor more than 5 minutes because my eyes hurt.

So I would like to use KDE own drivers but I would like make sound working·

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The problem with the Catalyst drivers is likely caused by the refresh rate they are setting your monitor to use. You can change this using the Catalyst driver configuration center.

I believe you won't be able to use the open source drivers for your ATi card if you want to use the HDMI audio - as the driver as shipped by your distribution is missing the components needed to support HDMI audio.

Regular audio (using the connectors on the motherboard itself) should work however.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
kwardak
Registered Member
OS
Thx for a reply,

With catalyst driver i tried to change refresh rate. It's configured at 60hz - maximum what my monitor (samsung b2430HD) can handle. The same refresh rate is used with open source driver. So i don't know what else i can change to improve display.

Regular audio doesn't work even on windows. I have motherborad from second hand and it's have such an issue that regular audio and integrated network card don't work. There is no OS wich can even see these hardware. So i want to use hdmi audio.

I have also usb stick sound card. But when i change it to be a main sound card the problem is the same. No sound and music and video files are played very fast so I belive that is a codec issue.

Maybe somebody can tell me why music file (song last 1 min) is played within 2 or 3 seconds? Maybe that is the problem that files are played so fast that i can't hear anything?

BTW KDE has good support to ATI radeon HD 5750. So I want to belive it will work :)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It is most definitely a codec issue. Unfortunately, the documentation on which repositories to add - and which packages to install afterward - varies from distribution to distribution.

Please see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

KDE Sysadmin
kwardak
Registered Member
OS
Kubuntu 11.10 on my netbook (samsung n210) has no problem with sound.

I'm starting to think that's is the driver issue because the same codecs but diffrent driver (ati properiaty drivers) causes sound to work.

I had installed restricted formats but problem was with every format even open formats (like ogg).

So I've tried one more time with ATI properiaty driver and tried to seek option i can change to improve display. Changing pixel format from YCbCR 4:4:4 to YCbCR 4:2:2 makes some diffrence. Eyes don't get tire so fast so I can work on computer some time. But it is not perfect, KDE driver is still better.

I have no idea what can I else do. I think i need to wait for better KDE drivers.

Many thanks for help. If anybody will have any idea I will give it a try. For now Kubuntu will be my second OS (what a pity :( ) and I'll stay with KDE drivers.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you filed a report with ATi (if they have such a mechanism) about how their driver causes your screen to not behave appropriately with their drivers?

KDE Sysadmin
kwardak
Registered Member
OS
I did not make any reports. But it is good idea, I did not think about it. I will write such a report. Ati has some support. I'll post thier answer (if there will be any).
kwardak
Registered Member
OS
Video isuue that cause eye-ache is codec problem. In widnows after installing the latest ATI drivers i have the same problem, so probably these drivers are not compatibile with all monitors.

Topic can be closed. Thanks for help.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Marked as Solved.

KDE Sysadmin