This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Accessing CD

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zorggy
Registered Member
OS

Accessing CD

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:03 pm
Hello,

CD access does not work properly. I don't say it does not work at all, but if I want to transfer a file from the CD to the local disk (through Dolphin, for example), the information in the bar tells me it is going to happen, but it actually never starts, it stays waiting minutes (at least more than 10, after I abort it). However I can see the contents of the CD in Dolphin!

How to diagnose, how to solve? I'm working with Fedora 15, KDE 4.7.4. Thank you in advance for all suggestion.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Accessing CD

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 am
Does the CD in question contain a large number of directories, or are there any noises from the CD drive which indicate the system may be having problems reading certain areas of data from the disc?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
zorggy
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:48 pm
Thanks for the answer. No, there are only few songs and the disk is correct. However, I realized tha ripping the disk (extracting data to the local disk) is fine, then working with the local copy works correctly. Does that means that some "security" avoids Dolphin from working normally on audio CDs? In this case, why not transparently ripping?

Don't know whether I'm right or wrong...
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm
You say ripping - is it an audio CD?

Debian testing
zorggy
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 am
I'm afraid to tell you yes, it's all about audio CDs. It can be an original or one made with K3b.

Is the way to access (making a copy) is different from accessing another type of file? And why Dolphin does not "clean up" that difference, if any?
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:31 am
Thanks for confirming that. It makes a vital difference as audio CDs are not supposed to be mounted at all (they do not possess a valid file system) - ripping and playing are done accessing the CD directly.

I cannot explain/justify dolphin's behaviour and believe me, you're not the first to stumble over it.

Debian testing