This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No notification sound in kde but other sound can play

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dgy18787
Registered Member
OS
I'm using kde4.7.4 with alsa + phonon 4.6 + phonon-gstreamer, but kde fall into silence (i dont know when, may since i upgrade kde). when i try to test it in system sound dialogue, it played sound, but when i login kde it can't be played. how can i slove it? thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Do you have any other applications which run on startup which could be occupying the sound card? (Skype for instance).

Another thing to check is that DMix is functioning properly - and that Pulseaudio isn't being used somehow.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dgy18787
Registered Member
OS
there is no software using sound card when startup. i didn't use dmix because before notification sounds are available.
the problem seems to occur when i upgrade to kde 4.7, may the phonon is too old?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
DMix is an ALSA feature required to allow multiple applications to use the sound card when no hardware mixing is available and no audio server such as Pulseaudio is in use.

Can you check that an "Audio" notification is enabled in System Settings > System and Application Notifications > Manage Notifications > Applications. Select "KDE Workspace" from the "Event sources" drop down. The "Login" notification should have an Audio notification of "KDE-Sys-Log-In-Short.ogg" configured.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]