This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

phonon settings misbehavior (no sound in amarok)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please provide a translation of the shown messages from "start-pulseaudio-kde"?

For the broken packages, your package manager will usually indicate this.

It is interesting that you note that a older Kernel causes KMix to show a full set of audio channels however...

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
kenshi
Registered Member
OS
Well here is the translated output:

Code: Select all
22:50:26 kenshi@destiny ~ export LANG=EN                                                                                                            1 ↵
22:50:53 kenshi@destiny ~ start-pulseaudio-kde
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {bb613621feef82d686edde0046e9bcea}unix:/tmp/pulse-NV7HG46I425t/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.
Failure: Module initialization failed

So which module has failed? Sorry about the late post, i haven't found time to work on this ;)

I read on the bug tracker of ubuntu at launchpad that this message is "normal". I can listen to music and watch videos but my sound card gets switched to hdmi. Should I use another phonon-backend like xine or vlc? If you need more informations let me know i will do my best.

Thanks for your help,
kenshi
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
That message is definitely not normal.
Can you try running this command please?
/usr/bin/pactl load-module module-device-manager "do_routing=1"

Also, please provide the output of this command? (Preferrably using a Pastebin - such as paste.kde.org)
pactl list

KDE Sysadmin
whatthefunk
Registered Member
Have the same problem after last updates. Pulseaudio is not accessible and multi-monitor support is a complete mess.

Running this code:
/usr/bin/pactl load-module module-device-manager "do_routing=1"

Gave me this:
Failure: Module initalization failed

pactl list

Pastebin here:
http://paste.kde.org/502490/
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you reproduce this behaviour under a new user?

KDE Sysadmin
whatthefunk
Registered Member
Ill play around with this after work tonight.
whatthefunk
Registered Member
I cant get into a new user account. I set it all up in my sudo account, but when I go to login, I get the error " Failed to load session "gnome"." I guess this justifies a new thread....

EDIT: My problem originated in pulseaudio updates found in the /ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates ppa. I used ppa-purge to undo the updates installed from that ppa and all my problems are solved.