This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

stopped: Kaffeine TV-problem with «No device found.»

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
You can use "sudo". This gives you root privs for a certain command.

The exact command would be
Code: Select all
sudo cp /media/anwender/downloads/audio_video_tv/technotrend/dvb-ttpci-01.fw /lib/firmware/

You can also use the root console, of course. And as sidenote, this is no secrecy concept, it is a safety concept ;)

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Uff, Problem solved.

1) firmware installed, everything run,
2) except the TV. As we have just talked about rights, I thought I am looking at the rights of the «sqlite.db» with the list of the Stations I want to see and which takes always half a day to redo, once a year. With Astra and Hotbird, I get about 1600 Stations, but need only about 60 in that list. So I delete all I do not want. And so I copied this file from Kubuntu to LM12-KDE via my depot of all jointly used Mozilla profiles and other cross-OS configuration files. Suddenly I thought to have a look at the rights, and clearly they were root. So I changed this and everything is OK.

Anyway, thanks a lot to you, I learned a new Puzzlestone today.

PS: are you an user of TV-Browser? If so, I would like to ask a question of installation.

Tschü

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Glad it worked finally. Checking the rights would have been the next step indeed.

No, i don't use TV-Browser, neither do i know it. Plain DVB-T with only about 24 channels :)

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
tvbrowser should be in the mint repos. What does "apt-cache search tvbrowser" return?

Debian testing
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Hello
Sorry to come back to this topic.

I have now dropped Mint and installed Kubuntu 12.10 too. Here I got the same old bloody error again.

I have installed the firmware exctly the same way as neverendingo has written and as it worked in Mint and still works in Kubuntu 12.04. I also have both libxine installed.

May I miss some codec(s)? And if so, how could I find out which ones?

I am sorry to be a pain, but today's dist-upgrade has completely bugged my 12.04 and I have to change now to 12.10 until the problems are resolved.

I hope to find again your kind help.

Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you reconnected the device (or rebooted) since making the firmware file available in the correct location?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Yes, at least two dozend times...

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Does 'dmesg' give any indication as to why it may be having problems?

KDE Sysadmin
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Thanks

Can you enlarge what I should do with «dmesg»? In the console I get a list which is larger than the console accepts.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you have just inserted the TV tuner device, you should see a series of lines get printed to dmesg. Just copy and paste those here. They will likely indicate if the firmware was found and loaded successfully in particular, and if there were any problems in initializing the device for use.

KDE Sysadmin
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Hi, thanks. However, it is a card (pci?), integrated into the PC itself (Desktop style). The card is from TechnoTrend (the company who makes most electronic things for Hauppauge.

I have also decided, not too follow this lead further, the amount of time involved is too big. In a few months the Version 13.04 will be available and until then I use my 12.04 with some 12.10 upgrades (like Kaffeine works, KompoZer is istalled, Google Earth too). So we can lay this topic at rest, thanking everbody again. I could still learn quite bit. In April or May I may have to open a new topic with this problems.

Arran
Registered Member
OS
Coming back to this topic: I had a full crash of the hard disk with both of my kubunti on. So, I had to reinstall the whole lot, but I do the 12.04 at a later date, running is 12.10. Then I did find on old notes not to forget kubuntu-restricted-addons and kubuntu-restricted extras. Since then Kaffeine works again with the satellite TV.

However, one piece of warning: installing these two packages will also install the «ms-morefonts-installer» which brings a Eula form to read and accept or decline. The joke is to find how to agree that one has read the Eula to be able to continue with the rest of the installation and to accept or decline the Eula. This is not at all obvious on the Eula-window, so here how to proceed. On the Eula window use the tab, so the >ok< sign gets read and then you can click it. After this comes a new window where you decide if you want to accept or decline the installation of these useless fonts. Click the appropriate button and then the full installation continues.