This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

stopped: Kaffeine TV-problem with «No device found.»

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Hello

I use Kaffeine to watch satellite TV since ages on all my Desktops; XP and various Linux. At the moment on Kubuntu 10.10 and LinuxMint12-KDE. I think I may have deleted a file with Zero bits in ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/ because since then I receive the message «No device found.» in both programs. I made a picture of my corresponding folder in the Kaffeine-Forum, but the frequency there is quite smaller than here. So, maybe someone can send me this little file for putting it back eiter by email to bruno13 at scotnet.co.uk or as an attachment to a response or in a pm.

Thanks a lot for helping.

Edit 16.2.: corrected wrong link address. You are directed now to my actual thread.

Last edited by Arran on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:29 am, edited 5 times in total.

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which version of Kaffeine are you using, and what version of KDE does it report using?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for help.

Kaffeine is 1.2.2.1 directly from the repos of Linux Mint 12 KDE. Version of KDE? I do not know how to find this one, but also directly from the same installation. Installed four days ago.
Is my guess for that missing file unrealistic?

Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You should be able to find the version of KDE from Help > About KDE in Kaffeine.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Thanks. KDE is 4.7.4. Have you seen my Edit in pot #1? I have now the direct link to the thread in the Kaffeine forum with a detailled description.

Last edited by Arran on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Though i use DVB-T, not -S, usually i get this message in case i used a different TV app and switch back to Kaffeine without disconnecting and reconnecting the stick before.
You might want to watch the output of dmesg in a console to see if your device really got connected and initialized.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Danke, neverendingo

I have run dmesg but get an awfully long list and I have no inclination to what I have to look for. Sorry!

neverendingo
Administrator
OS
of course first you'd need to know the device name :)

But to give you an example, this is what i get when i connect my stick via USB:
Code: Select all
[844617.761601] dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
[844617.904208] dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw'
[844618.608223] dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in warm state.
[844618.608339] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[844619.423252] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
[844619.423258] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized and connected.

you could for example do something like "dmesg | grep dvb", that way all the other messages get filtered out.

Communicate.
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Hello and many thanks. I am learning with Linux every day.

her my result:
Code: Select all
bruno@brunos-mint-kde ~ $ dmesg | grep dvb
[   26.412731] dvb-ttpci: could not load firmware, file not found: dvb-ttpci-01.fw
[   26.412736] dvb-ttpci: usually this should be in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware or /lib/firmware
[   26.412739] dvb-ttpci: and can be downloaded from http://www.linuxtv.org/download/dvb/firmware/
bruno@brunos-mint-kde ~ $

Do you think, I should put the file «dvb-ttpci-01.fw-2622» which I did download a while ago from the stated website into which of the two indicated files?

toad
Global Moderator
OS
Hi Arran,

dmesg says it all. You lack the firmware for the card. You can either search for it in kubuntu's repos (check with synaptic or whatever GUI they've got for apt) or go directly to the website mentioned in the output and download and install it from there.

You also may want to google dvb-ttpci-01.fw + kubuntu to get further info on that particular card and how it plays with your distro.

Debian testing
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Danke, Arch. I know that I did download the driver mentioned in my last post and it worked with Kubuntu perfectly. So my question was: «in which if the two states folders should I install (copy and paste?) the driver.»

Choose from
1: /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware
2: /lib/firmware

I do not know why there are alternatives. Or does that mean under 1: it will only work with me, the user and under 2: for all users on the computer?

toad
Global Moderator
OS
Oh dear, I obviously cannot read any more. Sorry for wasting space.

Debian testing
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Both choices are fine. Mine is located under /lib/firmware. Both choices will work for any user.

Note though, you need to copy that file as root.

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
As an explanation, your system has several path variables where certain libs or apps are being searched. That way you don't need to e.g. use the full path to start an application. Same counts for libs or firmware.
Most likely your path has both of the above paths set. In case you want only one certain user to have that firmware file available you would need to set your users path var to the location of the file inside your home directory.

Communicate.
Arran
Registered Member
OS
neverendingo wrote:Note though, you need to copy that file as root.

Im afraid you say this. I am still at odds with this secrecy concept. Would that work with the root console? And what would the exact wording be? the file lies in /media/anwender/downloads/audio_video_tv/technotrend/