This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kaffeine common ressources

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Kaffeine common ressources

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 am
Hello

I run Kaffeine at present for 2 users in three distros. With all Mozilla apps I can manage the profiles easy: I have them on a forth partition and indicate the path in the individual profiles.ini. This guarantees, that the TB and FF run per user identical whichever Distro my wife or I are in. I do a similar thing with Filezilla, Gimp and LibreOffice.

I now have an identical copy of the Kaffeine ressources copied into the folder /home/user/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine/ six times. If I change something, I have to do it five additional times. Is it possible to tell Kaffeine somehow where the
files
· config.dvb
· epgdata.dvb
· playlistsK4
· scanfile.dvb
· sqlite.db
· xine-config
are centrally located?

What for is the file
· dbvpipe.m2t?
It is with zero content and installs itself but I cannot copy and paste it.

Such a solution would be really time saving and make the experience with this wonderful program even still better.

Thanks for any response.

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Kaffeine common ressources

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:03 am
Have you tried using Symlinks to point ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine/ to a directory on the fourth partition?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:54 pm
Thanks, No, I have not done that, mainly because I have never understood what Symlinks are and how to use them.

Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:35 am
Symlinks are a dynamic link, set on the file system, which points to a specified location on the system. They can in general only be created on Linux/Unix native file systems.

Symbolic links (Symlinks) can be created using the tool "ln" with the argument "-s" (meaning Symbolic).

KDE Sysadmin
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 am
Thank you. Can you point me to a tutorial or something similar as I have not the slightest idea about that matter, please?

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:51 pm
Whilst this is from a Mac related site - it details how Symbolic links work very well.
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 0610290643

KDE Sysadmin