This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kile Path-Variable not sufficient

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hansisolo
Registered Member

Kile Path-Variable not sufficient

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm
Hello,

I have problems to understand the way kile is accessing the PATH-Variable using Ubuntu (natty). I am not sure, if it is an kde, kile or ubuntu issue.

Problem details:
* We have an modificated TeXLive2010-Environment. A special directory contains the environment and we usually set the bin-path of the modificated TeX-Environment to the begin of PATH -- it works fine with CentOS 5.x, even if we have the distribution texpackage installed at the same time to solve the package dependencies issues.

For all cmdline-Tools and most editors it works the same way on Ubuntu, except for kile.

The kile systemcheck itself shows no problem. All binaries of our modificated tex-environment (e.g. /Applic/tex/bin/pdflatex, not /usr/bin/pdflatex) are detected and preferred. Kile uses the PATH-Variable as expected.But when we push the compile button, kile uses the ubuntu-distribution-version, that should not be used if kile would use the PATH-Variable:

~/usr/bin:/Applic/tex/bin:/usr/bin.....

Strace shows that kile looks -- when compiling a document -- for "/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/pdflatex" and "/usr/bin/pdflatex" always BEFORE the first element of the PATH variable is progressed.
Usually kile finds pdflatex in /usr/bin, the result is that our own version, that should be preferred by PATH-Environment, is not used.

If we change our kile settings to use an abolute path, it works -- but this would create a lot of problems for us.

The different behaviour of systemcheck and pdflatex-compile makes me thinking about a bug or a configuration file I am not aware off.

I am unsure, if this is kde, kile or ubuntu related issue.

Any ideas are greatly appretiated.

HansiSolo
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Kile Path-Variable not sufficient

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:49 pm
This is probably a bug if Kile is checking it's own paths before moving on to those in $PATH. I would suggest filing a bug on it's tracker and using the hardcoded name in the interim.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]