This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kate remembers place in file

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
glepore70
Registered Member

Kate remembers place in file

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:40 pm
Is there any way to prevent Kate from re-opening files to the previous place I was in the last time I edited that file? I'm on Kate 3.9.5 and KDE 4.9.5. I looked through the settings and searched the web but did not find anything. I think this is a very annoying "feature".
sredna
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kate remembers place in file

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:12 pm
Try in configuration dialog, "Generel" tab to unheck "remember meta-data between sessions", that should disable it if I am not mistaken :)
glepore70
Registered Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm
Aaah, that does it, thank you very much! Although it does remember the existing opened files one more time, after that it behaves properly.
sredna
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm
Cool, glad I could help! Please mark the thread as solved then :)
glepore70
Registered Member

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 pm
Actually, I spoke too soon, some files are still being opened to the old place in the file. Even after I've unchecked the box and deleted the session metadata (/.kde/share/apps/kate/sessions). It's a bit random, most files work fine but some are still opening in the wrong place. Any additional ideas, or is it time file a bug?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 pm
Does this occur if you are using an unsaved session? (Kate has Session support, managed through the Sessions menu).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
glepore70
Registered Member

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 pm
Sessions support is something I never use, so everything should be set to its default. Elements of Sesssions: Include window configuration is checked, and Start New Session is checked under Behavior. What's interesting is that new files that I've created after unchecking the meta-information box are being remembered.

I've filed at bug at:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314381

We'll see if the improvements in KDE 4.10 help.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:52 am
Just as a guess, are session metadata files being saved in ~/.kde/share/apps/kate/sessions for the new files, while they're not for the old files?
I suspect that the new file code path isn't respecting that option if this is the case.

KDE Sysadmin
glepore70
Registered Member

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 am
Nope, the sessions directory is empty. Maybe Kate stores the last-edited-place information somewhere else?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am
I've just checked - it does, in 'katerc'. You can find it at ~/.kde4/share/config.
Unfortunately, you'll need to ask the Kate developers for an option to disable this behaviour..

KDE Sysadmin
glepore70
Registered Member

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm
Aha! Excellent (I guess). Whacking that file (which was over 5,000 lines long!) didn't really mess up my Kate configuration and did appear to fix the problem. I'll amend my bug report to add this information. It should definitely be a feature to turn off the edit place remembering independently of deleting the main configurations file. Thanks for helping out on this. Now if Kate would only fix the toolbar buttons moving around problem (Bug 64754).
glepore70
Registered Member

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm
Speaking too soon again, deleting the katerc file doesn't fix the problem, it soon returns (probably never left.) Upgrading to Kate 3.10 did not fix the problem. I had already amended the bug report to be a wish for a setting to disable the feature, I will probably leave it there until a dev comments.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 pm
As one temporary workaround, you could try marking the file as read-only (chmod 400) which would prevent Kate from making those additions to the file.

KDE Sysadmin