This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Reduce / Trim language variants in Spell Check?

Tags: spell check, spell checker, language variants spell check, spell checker, language variants spell check, spell checker, language variants
(comma "," separated)
fakd
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I have a huge list of languages in my spell check selection (all english and all german variants). However I only need one english and one german variant.

So is it possible to trim this list to only these two?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try uninstalling the various spell checking dictionaries through your package manager - KDE simply relies upon them. Depending on your system, different backends could be in use, but aspell is fairly common.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
fakd
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Try uninstalling the various spell checking dictionaries through your package manager - KDE simply relies upon them. Depending on your system, different backends could be in use, but aspell is fairly common.
Ok, but I fear that the variants depend all on the same pkg. Lets see:

Code: Select all
[richard@chakra boomaga]$ pacman -Qs english
local/aspell-en 7.1-2
    English dictionary for aspell
local/hunspell-en 7.1-2
    English hunspell dictionaries
[richard@chakra boomaga]$ pacman -Qs german
local/aspell-de 20120607-1
    German dictionary for aspell
local/hunspell-de 20110609-2
    German hunspell dictionaries
Hmm, yes they do... :(
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunate. You'll need to either look into the hunspell/aspell configuration files - to see if they support hiding/suppressing certain dictionary variants, or alternatively you could ask your distribution to offer for fine grained packages.

KDE Sysadmin
fakd
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Unfortunate. You'll need to either look into the hunspell/aspell configuration files - to see if they support hiding/suppressing certain dictionary variants,
Actually I found the place of all dictionaries:
/usr/share/myspell/dicts/ and
/usr/share/hspell and
/usr/share/hunspell
And funny thing is there are actually only a few unique dict. for the variants most of them link to the main dict. (ie. de_DE and en_US).
So, I deleted the links an all not needed variants. However I still have austrian and swiss german variants and canada und uk english variants? Any clues? (there doesn't seem to be an actual conf. file hunspell).
Also I have hebrew??? Does someone else also have hebrew?

bcooksley wrote: or alternatively you could ask your distribution to offer for fine grained packages.
Hmm, looks like a lot of work to me, does OpenSUSE do this?

Actually I thing this is work of the DE configuration, ie. KDE.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hebrew support is provided by Hspell.

Based on the packages I see in my package manager, it does appear that openSUSE offers splitted packages for language variants.
Desktop Environments such as KDE cannot provide this - as they have no way of telling the various dictionaries apart.

KDE Sysadmin
fakd
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Desktop Environments such as KDE cannot provide this - as they have no way of telling the various dictionaries apart.
Hmm? Obviously they must tell the different variants apart, otherwise how could they offer them in the spell check UI? However it seems that currently it isn't possible/thought about excluding variants.

But I have read on planet KDE (or somewhere) that there is work towards an automatic language detection for spell check. And especially with such a feature it would be important to exclude certain variants, because it would be really hard (if not impossible) to detect the variant just based on your typed text.

So maybe I will head to BKO for this... Thanks anyways.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Just to clarify - as far as KDE can tell, the various dictionaries available could very well be completely independent languages, rather than different variants of the same language - it isn't possible to silently trim off variants (and this would be sub-optimal in any case - if you wanted to use British spelling instead of American spelling for instance).

A bug report on bugs.kde.org would probably be the best idea in this case - in theory at least, it should be possible to offer the user the option to disable various dictionaries if needed, assuming the underlying spell checkers support this.

KDE Sysadmin
fakd
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Just to clarify - as far as KDE can tell, the various dictionaries available could very well be completely independent languages, rather than different variants of the same language - it isn't possible to silently trim off variants (and this would be sub-optimal in any case - if you wanted to use British spelling instead of American spelling for instance).
Ok, yes you are right. I checked the dict files and there is no occurence of the variants.
However, I have deleted now every occurence of de_ch, etc. (except for /usr/share/locale/de_ch, ...) I could find and still it offers me these variants. So there must be somewhere some info about them, but where???

bcooksley wrote:A bug report on bugs.kde.org would probably be the best idea in this case - in theory at least, it should be possible to offer the user the option to disable various dictionaries if needed, assuming the underlying spell checkers support this.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I don't know - my best guess would be in a configuration file of some description for one of the various spell checkers on your system.

KDE Sysadmin
fakd
Registered Member
OS
Ok, I found out now there is another dir:
/usr/lib/aspell/
If you also delete stuff there it really vanishes.
So in summary, one has to clear (only of unwanted variants) these directories:
/usr/share/myspell/dicts/
/usr/share/hunspell
/usr/share/hspell (here you can delete everything to get rid of hebrew)
/usr/lib/aspell/
google01103
Manager
and if those packages are ever updated then you would need to again trim those folders

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

fakd
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:and if those packages are ever updated then you would need to again trim those folders
Well, I'm open for better solutions...