This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kate syntax highlighting not changing when editing syntax

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
geitenkaez
Registered Member
Okay, so I have a problem with the kate default scheme syntax highlighting. Basically, what kate does is it makes
Code: Select all
#! ... !#
block comments. Which is not part of any standard, R6RS defines
#| ... |#
as block comments but apparently something guile supports. Which wouldn't be a drastic problem if a shebang didn't turn the entire document into a block comment or that
#!r6rs
is the way to start a document indicating its advertised conformance to R6RS as well as telling the implementation to use R6RS mode. (long explanation meant to motivate people to change this default behaviour, I don't think it's a good idea)

So
$ kde4-config --prefix
gives me
/usr
and lo and behold, the syntax files are at
/usr/share/kde4/apps/katepart/syntax
. And lo and behold, scheme.xml contains:

<comments>
      <comment name="singleLine" start=";;" />
      <comment name="multiLine" start="#!" end="!#" />
    </comments>

or at least it did, I changed it appropriately. Saved it, restarted Kate, nothing happens? Is there some command I need to give kate to reload its syntax definitions that I'm unaware of?
geitenkaez
Registered Member
Right, found the answer, in case anyone latyer googles and finds this, in the scheme.xml file there is this part:

<Detect2Chars attribute="Comment" context="MultiLineComment" char="#" char1="!" beginRegion="region"/>

and this part

<context name="MultiLineComment" attribute="Comment" lineEndContext="#stay">
        <RegExpr attribute="Comment" context="#pop" String="!#\s*$" endRegion="region" column="0"/>
      </context>

Because it's rexed light that makes it hard to search it, removing them solves it.

Because it's regexed with !#
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You probably want to file a bug at bugs.kde.org regarding this, to ensure the developers are aware of the issue.
Thanks for posting the solution here.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]