This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Accents and Umlaute

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Accents and Umlaute

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:37 pm
After long hours searching and reading, I have not found a solution for our problem:
My wife uses a Sony Laptop with a British qwery-keyboard, configurated as generic in «locale». All other choices were wrong. She writes 80% in English, the rest in German or French, but mostly in not so important social media, where a «ae» instead of a «ä» ist good enough. Now, however she dug out a couple of Geman books written years ago and she would like to print and sell them with a Print-by-Demand Company. She wants now to rewrite the books and at the same time format them correctly for sending the PDFs to the printer with LO Writer. However, here we need the accents, at least the ä, ö, ü. Best and ideal would be to use the a, the o and the u keys to achieve the Umlaute. The glyphs now attributed to this key combination is not needed for us and can be exchanged. If, at the same time, we could use other never needed glyphs for the french accents it would be a welcome bonus, as would be the capital Umlaute.

I read in a Wiki page in the German «Ubuntuusers» forum that this is possible in Gnome, but not (yet) in KDE. Is this still so, or can you show me a way how to achieve our idea?
Both books have together over 500 pages about A5, so there are quite a number of Umlaute. To do it consequently via KChaSelct and the copy and paste, is not a real alternative. The info there is for the ä U+00E4, for the ö U+00F6, for the u U+00FC, the Ä is U+00C4, Ö is U+00D6, Ü is U+00DC.

Or is there a possibility to type directly these codes? Something like ZU+00FCrich for Zürich?

All speditive solutions are accepted, as my wife now wants to speed up with this old project. We would be very thankfull for all help.

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Re: Accents and Umlaute

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 pm
I use two keyboard layouts, British and German.

systemsettings - input devices - layout

It is great 'cos you can have one layout for let's say Libreoffice and another for Firefox :)

Debian testing
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 pm
That was my first idea too. However, she tried it but made too many typing errors. Some keys are really different, not only with unusual ones. Mainly the z and y are critical.

I might find an older USB-German keyboard, that would probably solve all problems.

Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:17 am
Seeing it is only a couple of keys that are different it shouldn't take too long to learn it. Keep her at it, she'll be proficient before long.

Debian testing
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:22 am
However, this is a solution, but does not answer my basic questions, especially if it is true, that KDE does (yet) not support an easy attribution of another glyph to a key, a feature Gnome does?

toad
Global Moderator
OS

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:27 am
toad wrote:Seeing it is only a couple of keys that are different it shouldn't take too long to learn it. Keep her at it, she'll be proficient before long.

Correct. Have you tried playing around with custom keyboard shortcuts? That might just scratch your itch...

Debian testing
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:56 am
This is not a good answer.
Can someone answer this question:
Is true, that KDE does (yet) not support an easy attribution of another glyph to a key, a feature Gnome does?
And if it is true, will it be changed in the future and are there any time ideas?

She tried now writing about 6 pages, but honestly it is Hell with not having the easy possibility to type the accents.

And yes, I tried to «play» with the custom keyboard shortcuts, but to no avail, as I do not understand what I would have to do.

Arran
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:28 am
Do you think, if I install Gnome on her computer over KDE this would work? Or would I have to delete Kubuntu completely and then install Ubuntu?

Arran
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:38 am
It seems, the community here is not really interested in Users questions. Else I would probably have got a few serious responses.
Very disappointing for such a great idea like KDE.

I solved the problem with a second keyboard. But this still does not answer the much more important question, if KDE is going to include the simple attribution of U+xxxx codes to chosen keys.