This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kwrite auto wrap can't be disabled

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jakedarcy
Registered Member

kwrite auto wrap can't be disabled

Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:56 am
I found it is said that in settings-configure editor-open/save, you can disable autowrap by setting line length limit to zero.

I tried both setting it to zero and "unlimited", still kwrite auto wrap and doesn't let me to finish a long line.
google01103
Manager
what is length of "long line"?

KDE 4 or 5? version of Kwrite?

do you have same issue if you use Kate?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

jakedarcy
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:what is length of "long line"?

KDE 4 or 5? version of Kwrite?

do you have same issue if you use Kate?

Hi,
80;
kde 4, kwrite 4.14.9;
No. Kate is fine.
google01103
Manager
in ~/.kde[4]/share/config/kwriterc what is "Line Length limit ="

why not just use Kate?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
I think what you are looking for is Settings->"Configure Editor..."->(Appearance->General->)"Dynamic Wordwrap".

If that's disabled, lines will not be wrapped at the window border.
And that works as expected here with the latest KWrite 4.14.3. (there is no 4.14.9, that's probably your kdelibs version...)

The setting in Open/Save only applies when you open a file, and is a hard line break, i.e. it actually modifies the file.
But that is set to 1024 by default,

The dynamic word wrap only affects the display though, no actual line break is inserted.
jakedarcy
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:in ~/.kde[4]/share/config/kwriterc what is "Line Length limit ="

why not just use Kate?

in ~/.kde[4]/share/config/kwriterc what is "Line Length limit =-1"
I dont know. I am just curious coz this thing has been a problem for me for so long and I didn't know what is the problem until I found kate. I am also wondering why not make kate the defualt writer instead.

Maybe I'll uninstall kwrite and just use kate.

Last edited by jakedarcy on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakedarcy
Registered Member
wolfi323 wrote:I think what you are looking for is Settings->"Configure Editor..."->(Appearance->General->)"Dynamic Wordwrap".

If that's disabled, lines will not be wrapped at the window border.
And that works as expected here with the latest KWrite 4.14.3. (there is no 4.14.9, that's probably your kdelibs version...)

The setting in Open/Save only applies when you open a file, and is a hard line break, i.e. it actually modifies the file.
But that is set to 1024 by default,

The dynamic word wrap only affects the display though, no actual line break is inserted.

dynamic word is already disabled. It does also modify the file.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
jakedarcy wrote:dynamic word is already disabled. It does also modify the file.

No, dynamic word wrap doesn't.

You mean in your case the file is modified?

Try setting the option in "Open/Save" to 1024 again (not 0 or -1). It shouldn't modify 80 character lines then.
As I said, I see no problem with this here. KWrite and Kate use the exact same editor component anyway, so there shouldn't be a difference in behaviour.

Although as mentioned, this limit shouldn't bother you when entering text, it should only apply when opening files (it doesn't even change anything when *saving* the file).
So I'm still not completely sure what's going on in your case.
Could you maybe post a screenshot to clarify?
Maybe some plugin is activated that does this? (although I don't think kwrite comes with such a plugin)