This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kate split view clarification

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wallace11
Registered Member

Kate split view clarification

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:29 pm
I'm a long time XFCE user who recently moved to KDE, so I'm still trying to get used to the way of doing things here.

One of the biggest mysteries for me is Kate's split view. I've been using gedit all my life and split view there is very straightforward: you put a file on the right and a file on the left and go from there. With Kate it doesn't seem to be the case.
For some weird reason, when invoking split view it duplicates the opened file to the other half. However, if I try to close one of the tabs, it closes them both.
Not only that, when having two tabs opened which I want to view side by side, activating split view does send the other tab to the right, but it also duplicated the current one, and of course closing it closes the other one also.
Is this normal behavior of Kate? If so, it's extremely unintuitive and there doesn't seem any option in the menu to get around that.
Would appreciate help changing this behavior or a clarification for why Kate is built like that.

Thanks.
Clancularius
Registered Member

Re: Kate split view clarification

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 pm
I imagine it's because if you have more than two tabs open, then it's easier to switch between the documents if the tab views are mirrored like that rather than just having two documents side by side. Which you can achieve in other ways by dragging two open windows around the screen or to the sides of the screen to split view on the desktop rather than in the program.
wallace11
Registered Member

Wed May 02, 2018 3:09 am
Are you sure that's all there is?
Even if what's the case, that doesn't explain why closing one of the (duplicate) tabs while there's another one open (3 open tabs, 1 tab and 2 tabs case) would also close the other one as well.
Clancularius
Registered Member

Wed May 02, 2018 2:17 pm
I had a look and the closing on both sides is a confirmed bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344374
wallace11
Registered Member

Thu May 03, 2018 10:09 am
Thank you so much for finding this. I wonder why I couldn't find this but report myself...
I'll try to bump this and see if it does anything.