This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What happaned to korn and knewsticker?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
microchip
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I'm a long time user of the small Korn application present in KDE3 which embeds itself in the system tray and displays the amount of unread messages. I really like this small app and it was also present in KDE 4.0 (as I've seen a package of it on SUSE's repo). However, there's no sign of it in KDE 4.2.

Has Korn been dropped and if so why? I tried a few mail checking plasmoids but they can't beat Korn, IMO. Korn only takes a tiny amount of space in the sys tray while the plasmoids require a lot more on the desktop...

A further question, as knewsticker has been dropped by the author, where can I find a similar app that I can embed in my top panel and have it scroll the news from various sources? I've tried the RSS News plasmoids but they work **** when you place them in the panel... I don't want to clutter my desktop with 10 plasmoids, one for news, one for mail, one for sys monitoring, etc
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS
microchip wrote:Has Korn been dropped and if so why?

My guess would be that it was unmaintained.

microchip wrote:I tried a few mail checking plasmoids but they can't beat Korn, IMO. Korn only takes a tiny amount of space in the sys tray while the plasmoids require a lot more on the desktop...

What if you put them on a panel instead of the desktop?

microchip wrote:A further question, as knewsticker has been dropped by the author, where can I find a similar app that I can embed in my top panel and have it scroll the news from various sources? I've tried the RSS News plasmoids but they work **** when you place them in the panel...

Hmm, maybe file a bug report that visualization in a panel containment needs improvement, detailing how this improvements should look like.

I read on some mailinglist that a new developer asked whether he could start working on knewsticker. Not sure if he already did.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
microchip
Registered Member
OS
That's really ****. Korn was my fav app for mail checking and I still use it till today.
I've placed the mail checking plasmoids in the panel but it's not the same compared to Korn, which just displays a small digit and that's all
I'll think about filing a bug report/improvement for the RSS plasmoid...

Last edited by microchip on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SomeOldFool
Registered Member
OS
GnuBiff works well added to the panel. You can set no icon if no mail and the text to 0 (zero) for no mail so it takes up no room. You can then have an icon display if you have mail, or just whatever text you want. The only thing is it won't remember passwords so you have to enter them after each boot.
Mike
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS
KMail itself now works as a systray icon. While it doesn't show multiple mailboxes like Korn, I've found that it does meet my needs (I'm an old time kbiff fan).

Don't look back! (Or you might see the giants whose shoulders we stand on)
microchip
Registered Member
OS
Thanks so much for replies. I will investigate some of the suggestions :)