This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[solved] How to dock Kparts plugin in Firefox?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
At some point Kparts plugin which I use to view PDFs in Firefox (10.0.2) started behaving strangely. Instead of opening inside Firefox tab it pops out a separate titleless window where it loads PDF content. What triggers that mode, and how can it be docked back inside the browser?

Last edited by shmerl on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you reproduce this in Konqueror, or under a new user?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
Just tested, in Konqueror (primary user) as well as for a new testing Linux user (using Firefox) the plugin is displayed inside the browser. However even for another Firefox profile and primary user, the problem persists. Looks like some kind of persistent plugin specific setting (not related to the Firefox profiles). I'm using kpartsplugin package on Debian testing.

Last edited by shmerl on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you check in about:plugins and compare the two between both users?

KDE Sysadmin
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
Primary user:

Code: Select all
KParts Plugin

File: libkpartsplugin.so
    Version:
    File viewer using KDE's KParts technology (2011-08-23)

Plus huge list of associated mime types.

Same thing for the testing user. I'll make the diff between the two just in case.

Last edited by shmerl on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Okay, try running "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" to flush the list of associations and rebuild it.

KDE Sysadmin
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
It ran, producing bunch of messages like:

Code: Select all
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(8946) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Actions in "ScreenSavers/helios.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).

Restarted Firefox. That didn't affect the plugin behavior though.
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
Just to note, the external window is not a normal Okular. It has the same controls as a docked plugin inside the browser. But it's opened in a separate window. The tab which supposed to hold the plugin is left without any content (transparent).

I even tried to uninstall and reinstall the plugin - the issue didn't go away.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Okay, it looks like it is failing to embed itself into Firefox - for unknown reasons. Your best bet is to look for a file named "mozillarc", "firefoxrc" or "kpartspluginrc" (or similar) under ~/.kde*/

If you are unsure about which files to delete, please ask here.

KDE Sysadmin
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
The only related file seems to be okularpartrc. I moved it out temporarily, it was created anew, but it didn't change the buggy behavior. I suspect it's some weird global settings for that window which was triggered accidentally by some key combination or something of that sort. Temporarily moving out all files from ${HOME}/.kde/share/config and starting Firefox solves this problem. I'll try to narrow down to what exactly is the culprit setting.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Key suspects would be kdeglobals.

Given that you did not restart KWin, kwinrc is likely not at fault, and neither is plasma* (plasmarc, plasma-desktoprc, plasma-desktop-appletsrc) as you did not restart Plasma Desktop either.

Best way to test would be by moving config files back one by one. It is likely safe to move all <appname>rc files back however - as they should only affect those applications and not others.

kdeglobals is referenced and loaded by all KDE applications.

KDE Sysadmin
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
I found the offending setting. Strangely, it's in ~/.kde/share/config/oxygenrc

[Common]
BackgroundOpacity=211
OpacityBlackList=bangarang,dragon,kaffeine,kdenlive,kwin,lancelot,loopy,nspluginviewer,smplayer
OpacityGreyList=amarok,bangarang,dragon,kaffeine,kdenlive,krunner,kscreenlocker,kwin,lancelot,loopy,nspluginviewer,smplayer,vlc,vlc-wrapper

[Windeco]
BlendColor=Radial Gradient

[Windeco Exception 0]
BlendColor=Solid Color
Enabled=true
Mask=32
Pattern=(Firefox)|(Thunderbird)|(Gimp)
Type=Window Class Name

The offending setting is BackgroundOpacity=211. When that line is removed, this docking bug goes away. I suspect it has something to do with me using oxygen-transparent and related issues. May be I need to blacklist kpartsplugin or okular somehow?
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
shmerl
Registered Member
OS
There is a fix now for the latest version of Kpartsplugin: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=299690#c3