This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Image format (portrait / landscape) selectable?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hwst
Registered Member
Tellico 3.2.3
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon

Hello,
is it possible to choose the image format in the collection display (portrait / landscape) and the image size (measured in points, cm, inch, etc.)? For me, all images appear in landscape format and are the same size.
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS
hwst wrote:is it possible to choose the image format in the collection display (portrait / landscape) and the image size (measured in points, cm, inch, etc.)? For me, all images appear in landscape format and are the same size.

In the Icon View, there's a slider in the top right where you can adjust the image size. They will all be the same unless the view size exceeds the actual image size itself.
hwst
Registered Member
I know this possibility. I mean, if I define an image field in a record (e.g. a book cover) and when displaying the record the book appears in the wrong format (landscape instead of longitudinal) and too small. Is there anything I can do about this?
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS
hwst wrote:I know this possibility. I mean, if I define an image field in a record (e.g. a book cover) and when displaying the record the book appears in the wrong format (landscape instead of longitudinal) and too small. Is there anything I can do about this?

Was the original image also rotated incorrectly? Tellico doesn't rotate anything internally, it just uses the image as provided. As well as the size. I'd suggest figuring out if you could get the book cover original image in a higher resolution and rotated correctly. If there is image metadata providing a custom rotation, I'd have to check to see if something in KDE could account for that.
hwst
Registered Member
I took the picture with a camera and transferred it to the PC. Both in the camera and in the file manager the image is displayed upright. In Tellico Editor, I selected the image from the appropriate folder and saved the record. However, the subsequent display of the data set then shows the image in landscape format.
I made another attempt and took a screen image in portrait orientation with Flameshot. This image is also displayed in portrait orientation when the data set is displayed.
hwst
Registered Member
Additional Info:
Image-1 (self photographed, rotated).
1824x2736 pixel, 25,74x38,61 cm, 180 dpi
measured on the screen: 13x21 mm
XnViewMP-ExifTool shows under EXIF: Orientation = Rotate 90 CW

Image-2 (screenshot, not rotated)
344x589 pixel, 9,10x15,58 cm, 96 dpi
measured on the screen: 16x26 mm
no EXIF Information for Orientation

The smaller image-2 will be displayed larger. Why?
hwst
Registered Member
another note:
The image orientation is done differently by various programs (Nemo, Gimp, XnViewMP, jExifToolGUI) - too bad, but it is so.
My solution:
I opened the portrait images oriented "wrong" in Tellico with Nemo, rotated them once 90°, put them back and saved them.
After reopening the images in Tellico, the orientation was correct.
This is a bit cumbersome, but solvable.
I do not consider this a bug in Tellico.

And resizing in the image display is currently not possible - correct?
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS
hwst wrote:another note:
The image orientation is done differently by various programs (Nemo, Gimp, XnViewMP, jExifToolGUI) - too bad, but it is so.
My solution:
I opened the portrait images oriented "wrong" in Tellico with Nemo, rotated them once 90°, put them back and saved them.
After reopening the images in Tellico, the orientation was correct.
This is a bit cumbersome, but solvable.
I do not consider this a bug in Tellico.

And resizing in the image display is currently not possible - correct?

Thanks for the additional info. I do want to account for the metadata in some way, but I'll have to think about how to handle that. I appreciate your feedback letting me know about it. And correct, there's no actual image resizing in the display.
hwst
Registered Member
Thank you Robby.
evashinq
Registered Member
I had a similar problem. You can't imagine how many nerves I spent on solving it. I tried to set up the correct format on my own, and it seemed to work. Only when I dropped the photo on another device, it becomes the same again. I turned to fotoautomat for help. Just the guys responsible for the photo booth's work more than once made me cool photos, and I hoped that they would help me. To my happiness, my hopes were fulfilled, so most likely you should contact a person who has decent experience as a photographer.
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS
I think I've got a fix for this, tracked at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436683