This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Value template possibilities

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Roman78
Registered Member

Value template possibilities

Mon May 17, 2021 2:00 pm
Hello out there.

I just installed Tellico for my collection of vintage computer hardware and software. So i created a new custom collection and experimented a little with it. So far so good, now i tried to to generate a custom ID using the Value Template option, the default is %{@id}, now this just counts up beginning from 1. Is there a possibility to set it to a fixed amount of numbers? Like 6 starting with 100001. I could not find any information about this.

Thanks a lot,
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Value template possibilities

Tue May 18, 2021 12:01 pm
Roman78 wrote: just installed Tellico for my collection of vintage computer hardware and software. So i created a new custom collection and experimented a little with it. So far so good, now i tried to to generate a custom ID using the Value Template option, the default is %{@id}, now this just counts up beginning from 1. Is there a possibility to set it to a fixed amount of numbers? Like 6 starting with 100001. I could not find any information about this.

You can't really do it from within the user interface, but if you create a new collection, add one entry, export as XML, then edit the XML file manually to change the id to 100001, then Tellico can open the XML file directly and the next entry you add would have 100002 and so on.
Roman78
Registered Member

Sat May 22, 2021 11:39 am
ööhhhhh. hmmmm... I will try that some times later. I just started using Linux 2 weeks ago, and just at page 130 of my first book....
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS

Sat May 22, 2021 2:32 pm
robbystephenson wrote:
Roman78 wrote: just installed Tellico for my collection of vintage computer hardware and software. So i created a new custom collection and experimented a little with it. So far so good, now i tried to to generate a custom ID using the Value Template option, the default is %{@id}, now this just counts up beginning from 1. Is there a possibility to set it to a fixed amount of numbers? Like 6 starting with 100001. I could not find any information about this.

You can't really do it from within the user interface, but if you create a new collection, add one entry, export as XML, then edit the XML file manually to change the id to 100001, then Tellico can open the XML file directly and the next entry you add would have 100002 and so on.

I can expand on that

1. Open Tellico can create a new collection. Create one new entry in the collection, it doesn't have to have any information in it.

2. In Tellico, do File->Export->Export as XML and remember where you save the file and what name you gave it.

3. With your file explorer, such as dolphin or GNOME Files, open the XML file you created in step 2. If you're prompted to choose how to open it, you want to open it in a text editor, such as kate, gedit, or something similar. Scroll down past all the text until you get to a line that says
Code: Select all
<entry id="1">
You could also just do a search within the editor.

4. Change that number 1 to 100001, making sure to keep it within quotation marks.
Code: Select all
<entry id="100001">

5. Save the file, then go back to Tellico and re-open the XML file.

That should work now!