This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sorting Tellico fields doesn't work

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LXXI
Registered Member
OS

Sorting Tellico fields doesn't work

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:17 pm
Until recently, I could sort my DVD collection (eg. alphabetically or numerically) by clicking on a field heading. This no longer works and I can't find any way of doing it. Has something changed in the software? I've tried re-installing but it makes no difference.
google01103
Manager
there's no bugs reported on bugzilla that appear related

obvious questions would be did you upgrade KDE or openSuse?

A good test to see if it's you or the app is to try tellico as a diff user and see it the problem still exists (you could also rename the tellico rc files and app directory)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

LXXI
Registered Member
OS
I first noted the problem in openSUSE 11.2. I've just updated to 11.3 and the problem is still there.
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have another go at it tomorrow.
LXXI
Registered Member
OS
I installed Tellico on my spare PC and copied my database across. That version now works perfectly. I have a feeling that when I uninstall the Tellico version which is giving this problem, there is something left behind like a config file somewhere which is confusing any newly installed version. I can't find it though. Any ideas?
google01103
Manager
usually kde4 apps have a config file(s) and a directory

would be something like:
~/.kde4/share/config/tellicorc
~/.kde4/share/apps/tellico

LXXI
Registered Member
OS
Well I found the Tellicorc file and deleted it having already got rid of Tellico with Yast. I couldn't find any more files so thought I had it licked until I re-installed. The problem remains. Weird. I'll have to think about it for a while and run some more tests. Thanks for your help so far.
google01103
Manager
the database was located in ~/.kde4/share/apps/tellico ?

open kfind and search within ~/.kde4 for tellico*

there's always a possibility there's something amiss because of the upgrade, so testing it own your primary pc with a clean new user would id that as the issue

google01103
Manager
I dl'ed and installed it and created a small test db. it sorted fine for me, didn't find any added files other than the rc and db

LXXI
Registered Member
OS
I did a search with Tellico installed and kept a printout of all the files. Then having deleted Tellico, I went through and checked that all the listed files were deleted, so I'm pretty sure there were none left. Yet the problem persists. I've also set up a new user but have to report that it doesn't solve the problem. I tried renaming the db and even accessing it from a USB stick - no good.

I'm now going to install 11.3 on a clean disc and try that. The problem with doing an update or even an install on an existing 11.2 partition is that all the user preferences are kept. Hopefully overwriting all that will do it! I'll report back.
google01103
Manager
try reporting a bug on bugzilla https://bugs.kde.org/

LXXI
Registered Member
OS
Yes I'll do that next. I've just finished a clean install on an empty disc only to find that the problem remains. It's strange that the only place I can get it to work is on my No.2 PC. Thanks for your ideas.
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS
This is a perplexing bug, of sorts. Tellico saves the number of the column used for sorting in the tellicorc file, but that's all. And it doesn't use any other files for configuration.

It basically sounds like the event of clicking the header is being ignored. I'm not sure why that would happen. And I can't reproduce the problem, yet.

You say a DVD collection on your wife's computer sorts without problem? And you wife's computer has all the same version of opensuse?
LXXI
Registered Member
OS
Robby - don't know if you've looked at my latest posts under bug 245139. I copied them below.
Both PC's are running 11.3
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yes both PC's are running yast-qt.
On mine, yast and dolphin won't sort, but Firefox and Thunderbird will.

Today I've made a fresh copy of 11.3 on a spare disk on my wife's PC.
As far as I can tell, it's working ok. Yast, dolphin, Tellico all sort.
Are we talking about a hardware issue here?
My PC has a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 mobo with an AMD Athlon X2 6400+
The other has an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+

I can't see any untoward messages when I run Tellico from the command line.
So basically, it's not a Tellico problem I think!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's another little test I've just tried.
I took the two disks with the new installations of 11.3 and swapped them round,
ie. the one I made in my PC went into my wife's and vice-versa.
The disk that previously sorted ok, now won't sort. The one that wouldn't now
sorts.
So this is nothing to do with which PC does the installation but simply which
PC it's sitting in. Crazy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There's something different about my PC or the way it's running the software. I think I will try installing the same apps on my wife's machine that I have on mine - one at a time with a check after each one just in case there's some interaction going on.

Later - well I've done that. No difference.
LXXI
Registered Member
OS
I've found the problem. The crucial difference between the two PC's is that my wife's uses a standard PS/2 mouse whereas mine uses a USB/ wireless link mouse. I still don't understand why it should make a difference. I will update KDE bug 245139 with the information.
robbystephenson
KDE Developer
OS
LXXI wrote:I've found the problem. The crucial difference between the two PC's is that my wife's uses a standard PS/2 mouse whereas mine uses a USB/ wireless link mouse. I still don't understand why it should make a difference. I will update KDE bug 245139 with the information.

Wow, I applaud all the work I know that you had to do to narrow it down to that!

So if you swap out the mouses, then the sorting works? That's probably some kind of bug that opensuse folks might be interested in hearing about...