This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

complexe letters in Calligra with pictures added in

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
trescryptique
Registered Member
Hi

I did use years and years in M$-Windows at work M$-Office because my boss did supply my computer including pre installed software and am accoutumated to write my reporting about technical situations encountred by clients in form of letters mit head line (client's name and adress, actual date and page number automatic added) and food line (my name and adress, phone and email contacts) on each page.

In the big text field I mix text, pictures and drawings as necessary (pictures and drawings after cutting and shrinking them as possible). The text is placed around the pictures and sometimes 2 or 3 pictures can be appear in the same "line"

on the first page appear on top a little field spreadsheet with 2 colums WITHOUT visible frames with the name etc. or list of recipients.

and I was intesting to do the same in my free time with my hobby activities (bicycle, there are maps with cycling routes, views and photos on landscape or bicycle parts and mecanism etc., somtimes 10..20 JPEG's) in Calligra words and did encountre divers difficulties :<

1. Problem: add a template

how to add a new personal template in the head of index page of the standard templates offered by Calligra (no head line, no food line, text size to big, etc.?

and I did not find the way to add page no. / date.

2. Problem: create the 2 fields WITHOUT frames on the 1. page

I did find how to create the 2 fields, no problem! but I did not find the way to avoid the fat frames around them :'(

3. Problem: add and commute spell checking (event. also grammar checkin) in more as one tongue

What is in Calligra possible (note: I did already ask the same in an other forum discussion about Konqueror in the other forum subdivision here)?

Is there possible to mix tongues on the same page as M$ supports already years and years (M$-Office recognizes each text segment and processes it individualy concerning spell checking!)

4. Problem: have we in Calligra the possibility of cooperative improvement of text?

M$-Office solution:
- the improvements and erasings appear on the screen or not
- the improvements and erasings appear at printing time or not
- the improvements and erasings are automatic marked in colour
- each contributor get a personal colour to recognize what is from whom

What is the Calligra solution concerning this function?

How to operate?

5. Problem: managing pictures

to do that, I did use until yet divers versions from Puppy linux (or Quirky linux) having KDE 3.5 and since a lot of mounths KDE 4.2 (I use KDE especially to turn my monitor to processing land maps being better vertical ;) )

Puppy Linux propose divers drawing and office tools: old K-Office (3 or 3.5), Abi, mTpaint, and Gimp.

Latex and Imagemagick (available in old versions of Puppy Linux) would probably also be a good choice (because of the possibility to process to the shrinking of size and resolution of all pictures through a script and copying them easily into the listing of the doc as address line linking to one unique directory) but as I am in professional field an accoutumated user of M$-Office (and have to use it, my boss will it!) they are both a bad choice for me. and Latex is an extremely big application...

In Puppy Linux, the little dwarf mTpaint (available in Debian) is an enorm active and fast tool for picture processing:
- it can make printscreen / screen snapshots
- opens automaticly the drawing editor :)
- Ctrl A marks the picture or a diagonal the part of them
- Ctrl C enters that (the picture or the part) into the buffer
- one or two hits more and you can shrink the size of picture (for ex. page down, enter new width)
- Shift+Crtl+V: enter it as new
- Crtl S save and enter wished resolution
- save it reduced as you wish. Really simple...

In the text processing, you can include the picture. Abi word gives terrible results. OO and LO produce good documents if the pictures are pre reduced in this way and if you find in the document, that the size etc are ok.

But if you will procede to the adaptation of size of pictures directly in the document (from the portable phone camera memory directly added into the document and shrinked by the tools integrated in the text processor LO (OO), a thing possible with no problem in M$-Word since 1995 xD ) you can encountre terrible deceptions and wait sometimes 20 minutes that LO finish his job on only one picture and at the end it is sometimes very difficult to change the position of each picture on the page(s) of the document! I did so spend near all the night to finish at the right time a document needed at the next day!

It seems that Calligra words is faster and positions more exact the pictures. But as Calligra is an integrated multi-field application, is that the best way?

6. Problem: fine positioning on pages

M$ has until 2000 (or perhaps before) a fine function:

holding the Shift-Key, and hiting the arrow keys, you can move very fine (as with a micrometer) position of elements on the document.

is a comparable function implemented in Calligra?

kind regards
ddurand42
Registered Member
OS
hI,
You don't say what version are you using ?
You need use the last one : Calligra 2.5.1
Have you take a look to the tuto I posted here in the previous message ?

Daniel
boemann
KDE Developer
OS
1. in version 2.5 it's possible - look in the file menu

2. well frames around text shapes (headers, footers, maintext) is just shown on screen an not on print, but you can remove it on screen to if you really want. Look in the view menu for something about borders around text shapes

3) theoritically it's possible to mix yes, but we have not tested it, and there is for sure no ui support yet. but it will come for sure

4) we actually have this, bt since the ODF format is going through changes about collaboration we have disabled it for now. But it will come back for sure

5) Not sure I get you question here

) I don't think so but it's a good idea. so could you please open a bug against calligracommon for that
trescryptique
Registered Member
Hi,

Thank you very much

ddurand42 wrote:hI,
You don't say what version are you using ?
You need use the last one : Calligra 2.5.1

actually I am using according to the actual Debian SID level >:D callligra words 2.4.3 under KDE 4.8.4

in Nutyx (my partition is actually not accessible because I did have a crash an will take care of recovery possibilities) I am using calligra 2.5 ode 2.5.1 unter KDE 4.9 (it is the reason why I did install Nutyx after Debian ;) and I am happy because it is A LOT more fast especially to reach the KDM login (and as I actually need to restart often daily to change the spell checking etc., Debian SID is on German, Nutyx is on French, it is a real advantage!)

Have you take a look to the tuto I posted here in the previous message ?
Daniel

thank you for this note, I will do it now!

boemann wrote:1. in version 2.5 it's possible - look in the file menu

2. well frames around text shapes (headers, footers, maintext) is just shown on screen an not on print, but you can remove it on screen to if you really want. Look in the view menu for something about borders around text shapes

3) theoritically it's possible to mix yes, but we have not tested it, and there is for sure no ui support yet. but it will come for sure

4) we actually have this, bt since the ODF format is going through changes about collaboration we have disabled it for now. But it will come back for sure

5) Not sure I get you question here

6) I don't think so but it's a good idea. so could you please open a bug against calligracommon for that

6) where can I report that?

5) my question was: can an other Calligra (graphic) application help me in integrated kind of processing to manage my picture better within the calligra words document. how far goes the communication between such Calligra parts (words and graphic application to shrink pictures and reduce the resolution)?

1) and 3) I see in Konqueror an automatic update of version by not in Calligra (where, I see, a lot seems to be projected in the future! as the new Calligra version are not all easily available immediately in the most important distributions as Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat and derivates, Slack, Suse etc., it would be an important option for users to realize as soon as possible: after the first step of installing an actual version, you are certain to get the new habilities!)

because users as I are really unexperimented to install KDE or Calligra Office or parts of them from source.

I did find on a German Debian forum a recommandation how to do that for Quanta, but how to do that without the typical Debian installations tools (apt-get -i, dpkg-buildpackage, apt-get -f install) with other parts of KDE / Calligra? great mysterium (the KDE web page says: use the binaries from your distributor = wait mounths and mounths and mounths in case of Debian :D )

Code: Select all
su -c 'apt-get install build-essential cdbs debhelper autotools-dev gawk gettext kdelibs4-dev libreadline5-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev sharutils texinfo tidy'

mkdir build && cd build

wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/k/kdewebdev-kde3/kdewebdev-kde3_3.5.10.orig.tar.gz
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/k/kdewebdev-kde3/kdewebdev-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4.diff.gz

tar xf kdewebdev-kde3_3.5.10.orig.tar.gz
gzip -d kdewebdev-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4.diff.gz

cd kdewebdev-3.5.10 && patch -Np1 -i ../kdewebdev-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4.diff

dpkg-buildpackage

su -c 'dpkg -i ../kfilereplace-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4_i386.deb ../kimagemapeditor-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4_i386.deb ../klinkstatus-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4_i386.deb ../kommander-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4_i386.deb ../kxsldbg-kde3_3.5.10-0ubuntu4_i386.deb ../quanta_3.5.10-0ubuntu4_i386.deb ../quanta-data_3.5.10-0ubuntu4_all.deb'

apt-get -f install

kind regards
ddurand42
Registered Member
OS
6) where can I report that?

look at bugs.kde.org/
it would be an important option for users to realize as soon as possible: after the first step of installing an actual version, you are certain to get the new habilities!

With Kubuntu, i get the last version 2.5 with the ppa packages
I think that the next releases of Calligra'll be more simple to install, for exemple, the next Kubuntu release 12.10 will have Calligra as default Office suite suite installed....

Regards,

Daniel