This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do I activate Python scripting in sheets?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cleanman2
Registered Member
I installed Kubuntu 12.10 and then went to the Software Center and installed Calligra Sheets 2.5.3.

When I go Tools-->Scripts-->Functions-->PyTime I get an error message <No such interperter "python">.

If I use the script manager the Python console will not run either.

What do I need to do to active Python?

Thanks, Jim
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you open console, does executing "python" give you a Python console?
It may be that you have only python3 installed, which does not provide a "python" executable by default.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
cleanman2
Registered Member
Yes I get an interactive Python session. It reports Python 2.7.3.

When I installed Calligra Sheets I went to the Muon Software Center and installed just sheets and I assumed it would pull in anything else I needed. Was I wrong?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you check to see if PyQt and PyKDE4 are installed?
Also, check to see if any packages with the names "calligra" and "python" exist - installing those may help here.

KDE Sysadmin
cleanman2
Registered Member
Note: this may be a dupe if it is I apologize, I was some how logged out while composing this message.

Can you check to see if PyQt and PyKDE4 are installed? They are.

I searched on Calligra and ended up installing the suite.

Searching for python produced about 1000 hits :)

Luckly while scanning through them I noticed kosspython. From my research I remembered that koss was the scripting engine used by Calligra. I installed it and python support seems to be working. I now can see the python console and when searching for script files to run python is now shown as an available interperter.

Maybe the developers/package manger should be asked about including it as a default, given Calligra's mention of scripting and python on the web site.

Thanks for your help. I don't think I would have gotten it working without it.

Regards, Jim
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Not a problem. Kross is indeed the KDE Pillar which helps to support scriptability of applications.
I have now moved this to the Calligra forum.

With regards to packaging, you need to ask your distributor regarding that, as it is something not within the control of KDE/Calligra.

KDE Sysadmin