This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to disable docker?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kflak
Registered Member

How to disable docker?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 pm
Hi,

Brand new calligra user here, so please bear with me if I make no sense... I just would like to get rid of that giant docker that is eating up more than half my screen and gives me nothing much that I can use. Right now the page I am working on in calligrawords is literally 33% of the screen width. The rest is occupied by huge swaths of emptiness, a few buttons and some dropdown menus. This can't be right, can it? Running this on arch linux/swaywm (wayland).
danders
Registered Member

Re: How to disable docker?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:49 am
In general, you can hide some dockers with the close button on the docker, or use Settings->Dockers.
Some standard dockers are not closable, but a trick is to detach the dockers and make it as small at possible.
If you are using words, there is a View->Distraction free mode (ctrl-shift-F), ctrl-shift-F to turn it off again.
You can also collect all dockers on one side with drag/drop.
kflak
Registered Member

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:02 pm
Wow.... sounds like an awful lot of dragging and dropping to accomplish something that should be possible to accomplish by default. Guess I have to crawl back to libreoffice.
sebpe
Registered Member

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:16 am
I use KWin and have set up a shortcut to toggle fullscreen mode. If that is possible in swaywm too, you can turn on the distraction free mode danders mentioned. That will hide all controls and switch to fullscreen, and if you use the window manager's toggle shortcut, the application will go back to windowed mode but the controls remain hidden.

It's still some kind of trick but just pressing two shortcuts should be quite fast.
kurtstraker
Registered Member

Tue May 19, 2020 3:39 am
kflak wrote:Wow.... sounds like an awful lot of dragging and dropping to accomplish something that should be possible to accomplish by default. Guess I have to crawl back to libreoffice.

I feel you brother, that's what I did but I decided to give this a second try. Right click on the tiny little diamond on the upper right corner and it gives the option to close. Dumbest thing ever ...
cipricuscprq
Registered Member

Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:04 am
kurtstraker wrote: Right click on the tiny little diamond on the upper right corner and it gives the option to close. Dumbest thing ever ...

The tiny diamond-shaped button is a float/unfloat button, but in my case there is no right-click option of course... version 3.1.10

This is surely a bug. That is not a "docker" in that it is not listed in the Settings - Dockers list. And it is a docker in that selecting Settings-Show docker titlebars does affect it. Yet again, if it's a "docker" it is not only absent in that list, but the only one with no close button.

Why wouldn't one use Libreoffice instead these days? Comparatively Calligra seems a joke. I have one reason: a document of 400+ pages LO crashes on — with text in a 2-column table covering all pages — and which Calligra opens just fine.

(But so do all the other text editors I've tried. Not to mention MSOffice 2019 that I therefore was forced to use in Windows for the aforementioned document, an experience that really shook my faith in Linux and put my open-sourcing soul in mortal peril.)