This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

.odp is opening properly at college

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
woodsmoke
Registered Member
OS

.odp is opening properly at college

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:14 am
Hi
this "kind of" began in November 2018.

I make my presentations using Calligra and then open in L.O. and then export to ms formats to use at the college.

And I have for several years tested the situation by taking an .odp and trying it and there was always some kind of formatting issue.

This last few weeks the original .odp file has opened and displayed with NO formatting problems using the ms product at the college.

So, as a question, has anyone else observed this behaviour?

woodsmoke
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Sounds like MS has actually improved their support for the original standard office document format (not to be confused with the de facto standard office document format that MS pushed to be made an official standard) in recent releases? Seems plausible. They can do what they want, if they feel they have enough impetus to do so.

I would hope that by now one ought to be able to use open source tools (well really any of the main office suites) to produce documents using open standards which can be freely shared and fully supported by the main office suites.
My experience hasn't been as successful, but then again I don't have to deal with this much. The version of MS office and/or features I was using in a recent presentation may have resulted in a poor conversion when opening the .odp in MS PPT vs converting the .odp to .pptx in LO before opening in MS PPT.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
cowhery
Registered Member
I've also experienced a problem like this when I prepared a presentation for my research paper, but now everything is fine, however, I can't understand why it happened :D