This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't open Sheets in Windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
betly
Registered Member

Can't open Sheets in Windows

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:44 pm
Just installed Calligra on Windows 7 because I need a simple spreadsheet program (hate excel and libre office is pretty much a copy). There's the blank document selection that opens to a text document but I can't figure out how to open a blank spreadsheet.
dinymon
Registered Member

Re: Can't open Sheets in Windows

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:35 pm
I have tracked the issue to the following but haven't yet figured out a way to solve it.

Sheets opens if I click on it in the directory D:\Program Files\Calligra Gemini\bin\ but not if I make it a desktop shortcut. Then, it says "The code execution cannot proceed because komain.dll was not found."

So, I checked the properties for sheets on the desktop. It said C:\Users\me\OneDrive\Desktop even though I installed it to D:\Program Files\. I have my registry set for D including Common Files.

After a lot of searching for configuration files, I realized to look at Calligra Gemini which was installed to my desktop and works fine. It had properties of C:\Users\me\OneDrive\Desktop. I now remember seeing for a minute during the install that it did choose One Drive. Since I am not a programmer, does anyone have a solution? I would love to be able to use this Calligra. It looks like an amazing program but I can't use it as it is.

I am using Windows 10 Home.
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member

Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:36 am
You seem to be able to get to Shortcut Properties. It is a tabbed window. The second tab is Shortcut. From there you can edit the Target and Start in entries, and then click OK or Apply.
dinymon
Registered Member

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:10 pm
No, this one doesn't let me edit the target. Unusual but true.
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member

Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:40 pm
I have a few ideas, which I will present roughly in order of simplest to most complex.

Right-click on the Desktop shortcut. Properties > General. Is the Read-only Attribute checked? If so, uncheck it and Apply. Then in the Shortcut tab, try to edit the Target and Start in entries.

For any valid shortcut on your Desktop, Copy and Paste shortcut. Rename the new shortcut to Sheets. Properties > Shortcut tab > edit the Target and Start in entries.

You use OneDrive. You might want to look at this posting and the replies to it to get a sense of possible complications when using OneDrive. In general, I have a positive view of storing documents and other data files on cloud storage. In fact, I have recommended OneDrive for this purpose in some postings. I am less in favor of using cloud storage for programs.

It seems that you have mixed Gemini and Sheets in the same folder. It is a complication, but may be correct given that “Installers exist for Windows but are out of date or incomplete.”

You might consider uninstalling Sheets and then reinstalling it, outside of OneDrive.

Added section

If Sheets is not in the Start menu, you can put it there. The lack of a desktop shortcut for Sheets is arguably a minor issue. But the issue may be an indicator of larger problems, so an effort to better understand it is probably worthwhile.