This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Calligra Suite on tablets/slates

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
robier
Registered Member
OS

Calligra Suite on tablets/slates

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:42 pm
Our team has been looking for an office suite...specifically presentation, word processing & spreadsheet...that is optimized for use on tablets/slates. In our testing, we use the Ciara Vibe 11.6" slate...aka ExoPC...with Windows 7 and Office 2007. Everything runs well enough but obviously not optimized for the 1366 x 768 res screen. We liked how Ubuntu's netbook edition ran...faster than Win 7 of course...but OpenOffice is also not optimized for small multi-touch screens. Using stylus helps but you really need a mouse to effectively use either suite. We have also tested Google Apps and Zoho but run into the same scenario...just not optimized for the environment. Does anyone know of a solution or if there is a project plan for either KOffice or the Calligra Suite to have an optimized version for the tablet/slate environment? If so, we would love to discuss...
annew
Manager
OS
There is a KOffice derivative called FreOffice. I don't know how complete it is, but it's worth look for that.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
halla
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Calligra Suite on tablets/slates

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 pm
FreOffice is a pretty good base for a mobile office suite -- for tablets or handhelds. But it can always be better! FreOffice is also not a "KOffice derivative" but formerly part of the KOffice project, now part of the Calligra Suite project -- it's right there in the source repository and built by default, so you can test it even on your desktop.

It needs tweaking, though, for tablets, as I found when I built it for the WeTab tablet. But that tweaking is what my company exists for, so I suggest you contact me at boud@kde.org and then we can help you further.
zinchenko
Registered Member
OS
The funny thing about FreOffice is that it runs on my ThinkPad ;D - this is an indirect result of compiling Calligra on my machine :)