This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

SVG rendering problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Timmer
Registered Member
OS

SVG rendering problems

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am
I've been googling all night, and haven't found any reference to this (maybe I'm using bad search terms), but on my computers (both of them) at least, KDE's SVG rendering is terrible.

This is the Kate icon -- the scalable one that ships with KDE.

This first shot is it rendered in Inkscape (which must be as intended because it matches the PNG files, and doesn't look like the pen exploded).

The second shot is it rendered in a Dolphin preview. This is slightly acceptable, as it is just a file manager.

But the third shot is in Karbon14. As you can see, it matches Dolphin pretty closely.

This is KDE's vector graphics editor. Shouldn't it render them correctly? Especially KDE's own icons?

Is this just my computer? Does anyone know why it's so bad? (I did just notice that Karbon's default save format is ODG, rather than SVG, so perhaps that's why, but it still seems odd.)

Timmer, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Re: SVG rendering problems

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 pm
I cannot find any svg images for Dolphin on my system; Karbon renders the text in the svgs I have created in Inkscape perfectly.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
slangkamp
KDE Developer

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 pm
Karbon doesn't support all SVG features yet. So it's likely that that Inkscape uses something that isn't supported by Karbon here. You can add report that as bug.
Kubuntiac
Registered Member

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:06 pm
Inkscape uses a lot of features that don't exist in the SVG standard (especially the masks and clipping stuff). That's why in Inkscape you can save as Inkscape SVG (default) or "Plain SVG".

That said, I would suggest that given the popularity of Inkscape and that the file format is completely open, that it would still be good to support it's features, where possible.
jaham
KDE Developer

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:12 pm
Some of these problems are already fixed. What is still missing is masking support. It looks like this now:

Karbon Maintainer
Kubuntiac
Registered Member

Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:51 pm
jaham wrote:Some of these problems are already fixed. What is still missing is masking support. It looks like this now:

Awesome. Thanks for all your work Jaham!